Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2005, 10:17 PM   #1

Hi,
I broke my c-5050 yesterday when I dropped it on the floor. Oops!

Rather than repair it for $190, I'm game to buy a new (or used) camera.

I like the f1.8 lens and great image quality of the C-5050. The 3x optical zoom is great for my use, and the 5 megapixels is excessive, however it does allow me to crop liberaly.

I would like a camera that has less delay between shots and perhaps a bit smaller. I like that it runs on AA battiers, as I have many lithium-ion recharable AAs.

Can you recommend a camera comparable to the C-5050, esp with a fast lens?

Thanks!
Dan

danz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 6:16 AM   #2

Hi,

I've not found any digital cameras with a fast lens, F1.8 or comparable, like the C-5050 I broke. Can anyone here explain why that is? The C-5050 is great in low light. I use the movie mode to create quicktime videos for the web with fine results in ambient light, e.g. http://dazuckerman.com/bath

Any recommendations for a camera that has a comparable movie mode that I can publish on the web (15 fps is plenty) that will work well in ambient light?

Thanks!
Dan

Old May 13, 2005, 7:05 AM   #3

Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old May 13, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4

I think no one's responding because we're not sure what's exactly comparable (as Oly hasn't come out with a direct successor to the model).

The Canon G-series have a fast lens (f2), but their movie clips are limited in length (the G6 does 15fps at 320x240 for 3 min), and they don't take AA's. I'm not sure how fast the 5050 is, but the G-series are known more for their quality than their performance, though it's likely that performance is better than your now somewhat dated camera.

If you have more money to spare, there's also the Sony F828, also f2, but with a much superior movie mode (VGA at 30fps limited by memory, but you might need fast memory). They also don't take AA's. It's also known for fast performance.

I believe those are the only current fixed-lens digicams with such fast lenses. However, given your requirements, it seems that both might be overkill just for clips.

Have you looked into a used 5050? It's too bad Oly didn't come out with a successor to it, I guess.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

Hi danz: if you really like your C5050, then go ahead and repair it, it's a very good camera. You can take the money you save, and start saving for a second camera. A repaired C-5050 would serve you well for years to come, and become a good backup camera when you buy another digicam. I have used many cameras in the past several years, and I currentlyown 4 different digicams. They all have certain features, or handling qualities, thatkeep me from selling them. (Ilove my C8080!).

While the C5050 is a great camera, it's successors are also super cameras. Yes, you give up the f1.8, but you get a much better lens in the C5060 or C5070. Your old C5050was limited toa 35-105mm 3x zoom,while both the C5060 & C5070 give you a 27-110mm 4x zoom and 2.8 aperture. You will find that the 27mm wide anglewill be used moreoften by you,than the times you shoot at 1.8. And I like the features of the C5070.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05...ly_c7070wz.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0309/03...ympusc5060.asp

Another option is to check with Olympus about buying a reconditioned C5060. Olympus sells their reconditioned cameras to the public thru their Olympus Auctions site on E-Bay. Usually they have both C5050 and C5060 cameras there at a good price. http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck in your camera purchase.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote