Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2005, 8:40 AM   #1

I am looking to get a good camera and my thinking behind the Z740 is that it is about £50 cheap so I could then afford a sd card. However which is the better camera? It will be used for close ups and general shooting, i have no real use for video due to having a camcorder.

Thanks for any help or advice you cna give me, or even an alternative in the same sort of bracket.
couzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 9:57 AM   #2

I am picking up the Z740 tonight. I was going to wait for the S2 IS, but the camera body shape is about the same as the S1 which has a lot of redeye.

I just returned the Z5 due to the colors being more off than any camera I have ever owned. It really bugged me. I loved the ergonomics of the camera, however.

We got the P200 last night, but it gives my cat really bad redeye. This is a blue eyed Siamese, and the camera we had, that did his pics so well, just up and died...the old 2 MP Kodak DC3400. I was going to buy one on Ebay, but they are bringing almost what we paid for ours news.

I think getting a new cat would be easier :-) but that certainly would not work.

I just cannot recommend the Z5. Having no AF Assist lamp was also a huge problem for me. These were not the only issues I had with it.

Hope this helps.
rita416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 11:49 PM   #3

if i were you, i'd wait for canon S2 IS to come out
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 1:00 AM   #4

Why wait on the cannon,when you can get shots like this from a 4 mp camera like the Dx6490? I'm sure the Z740 will do about the same.
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 1:18 AM   #5

That one was taken in Sports mode and all auto from 100 yards or so away. You'll find that most brands will work fine with all having a drawback or two. I have used many brands but think the Kodaks are pretty darned good at point and shoot. I saw these horses off the side of the road , stopped the truck and fired away, hand held, no tripod. The only thing I did was set it to Sports mode since they were moving at the time.
here are a couple more to look at and consider, The little girl is my granddaughter and was shot without a flash by my daughter and it was the first shot she had ever taken with the camera. All I told her was hold it down halfway untill it turns into a green dot then push it the rest of the way down.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2005, 1:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

i would say that you cannot go wrong either way.. the kodak is definately a great camera for the money.. but the minolta z5 does have image stabilization that could be nice for hand-held long tele-shots.. my advice as usual when 2 cameras are pretty evenly matches is to get down to the camera store and try them both out.. see which one feels best to you, and get that one...

here are the links to steves reviews if you havent checked yet..

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z740.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/z5.html
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 1:28 AM   #7

This one is also the DX6490 but with the TCON-17 teleconvertor lens added as the shot was from about 150 yards away. The shot was in manual mode F8, 1/250 second, ISO 200.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old May 13, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8

Thanks for you help guys, your posts were to late as I bought the Z5 and i just love it this is why i want to get in to photography

many thanks for all your posts and great looking photos maybe if i get some good one i can share them with you
couzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:47 AM   #9
Super Moderator

enjoy your Z5, its a great little camera with a good image stabilization system.. look forward to seeing your pics...

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:54 AM   #10

I am really glad you are happy with it. That is the most important thing. Look forward to some pics from you.
rita416 is offline   Reply With Quote