Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

I am upgrading from a point and shoot to digital SLR and I have narrowed my search to the Nikon D70s or the Pentax *1stDS. I am having a difficult time deciding so I thought I should ask my peers (you guys and gals!) for your opinion.

I chose these two cameras because I have accessories from other cameras I own that can be used on the new camera. I currently own a Pentax MZ-7 (35 mm) camera with a 28-200 zoom lens and a Nikon Coolpix 5700 with a flash (SB-50DX) and about 5 compact flash cards.

Your comments are most welcome.

dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well your compact flash cards will not work on the *stds as it uses the secure digital format.. so that may help you decide..

image quality is very similar between these models with a slight nod going to the nikon.. the nikon also offers a more "pro" like feature set..

but, either way you go, you will be very happy.. why don't you run down to the camera store and try them out, see which one feels best to you.. that should be your biggest deciding factor..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 11:58 PM   #3

I've had both - kept the Pentax. The D70 had terrible problems with moire effects, the Pentax does not. Somehow, the Pentax just feels more like a camera system - the D70 was just too big & clunky for me.
dwcinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 2:04 AM   #4

I have similar issues and have selected the Pentax (I'm off to collect later today).

The memory cards are not an issue - storage is cheap enought these days (and given that the D50 appears to use SD I think this may be the future). I bundled up my CF cards and flash when I sold my Dimage 7i on eBay. It probably didn't add to the value much but may have made it an easier sale.

I found the 350D too small, the 20D too expensive (but lovely), the D70 too big and the Pentax "just right".

Ignoring specs for the moment, the Pentax just felt "right" in my hand. Hards is right you need a "hands on" and it will be clear for you very quickly I suspect.

cheers

Terry
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:06 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i agree.. i think sd will be popular among the compact dslrs in the consumer lines from the major camera manufacturers.. i think you will also see the dual cf and sd that is now found on some pro cameras make its way into the higher end consumer lines..

really, any of the newer models from the major camera manufacturers are wonderful tools and will suitmost amateur photographersquite well... for certain ppl, there are definate advantages of one model over the next.. i.e. for those that shoot alot of sports and action, having the 5fps of the 20d is an advantage.. but for the majority of consumers, it really comes down to personal preference, whether its a brand loyalty, or already having some lenses from a film slr.. so just to reiterate, get down to the local camera shop, ask them to get out all of the dslrs that are in your price range and spend some quality time handling them and cycling through menus, and snapping off some shots, then buy the one that fits best..

happy shopping, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:13 PM   #6

Thank you very much for your input. I did make it to my local camera shop and gave both of the cameras a "test drive". They both performed very well but I was more impressed with the D70s. Now to convince myself to spent the extra money! Thanks again.
dune is offline   Reply With Quote