Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2005, 12:46 AM   #1

Alright, I'm a mess. I've been researching cameras like crazy for the past two weeks, and I've finally narrowed it down to under 10...but I'm still lost.

This is my first digital camera, but I'm no stranger to photography. The big issue is I want a camera that can give me very good quality pictures (6-8mp), but can still fit in a small purse for those nights out.

I'm really liking the looks of the Pentax 750z...looking at just the specs, it's got everything i want: 7mp, movie feature, small size, swivel lcd, and more. BUT, the reviews are so mixed, I just don't know what to do. I'm in love with it, but those negative reviews are really bugging me. One of the biggest complaints is low light difficulty.

I've also been looking at the Canon SD500, Nikon 7600, Sony DSC-W7, Olympus C-7000Z, and even the Canon A95 (though only because I like the swivel LCD idea).

Somebody please give me some guidance. I would love to hear someone say that the 750z is the camera for me...but more than anything, I really just want to buy the right camera (considering the money being spent). Thanks so much!
ht46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 6:23 PM   #2

ht,

You need to decide what features you need and must have vs. those which are really cool, but don't really do anything for you. You stated you wanted 6-8 MP camera, then you look at a camera that's only 5 MP, because it has a swivel LCD. What's more important to you, a swivel LCD or MP's? What do you want to use the camera for? Mostly inside pics of family and friends...mostly outside of buildings...wildlife...sports? Do you really need 6-8 MP? Do you plan on making really huge prints of your pics? There are other features which may be imprtant to you, such as cycle time, low light capability, battery type, memory media type, etc.

Do yourself a favor, and write down all of the features you have to have in your new camera, and eliminate all cameras that don't meet your criteria. Then go to a store and play with the ones that remain. Buy the one that feels the best.

Good luck!

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 5:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, and I apologize for not being more clear on what I'm looking for...it was late at night, after a very long day.

Anyways, let me first let you know when I'll be using it. Next year I'm going overseas for school. Basically, I want a camera that can capture memories with friends (from hiking to partying), as well as the spectacular scenery I'll be seeing. So, quite a broad range.

I've been fairly invovled in photography, and know what I'm doing. I was looking at a dslr, but then realized I really wanted something small to fit in my purse or pack. Seeing as I didn't have the budget for both, I picked the more sensible choice. However, i wouldn't mind some manual features (shutter speed, f-stop, focusing on off-centre, etc.)

Ok, anyways...I've been looking at the canon sd500 the most. Only problem, not really any manual features. The s70 does have more features, but isn't as compact. Is there any camera I'm overlooking...or any suggestions what so ever?

As i said before, I'm looking more for 6-7mps...but if there is a 5mp (like the a95) that takes great pics, I'd be up for some of those suggestions as well.

I love to take very good pictures, and want a camera that can deliver. This will also be my first digital camera, so i want to be sure i'm making the best choice.

p.s. i was interested in the swivel lcd for those self (or with friends) portraits, as well as concert/over the crowd shots
ht46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:47 PM   #4

ht,

I'm gonna go out on a limb...keep in mind, no camera is perfect...when you go compact, you're gonna have to give up some features...

...Fuji F10...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...oom/page10.asp

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 1:47 AM   #5

Forgive me for throwing one more fish into the pot, but have you considered the Casio EX-Z750? Steve just put up a review of it a few days ago. It has aton of manual features for a ultra compact, long battery life (about 2x the battery life of Canon SD500), and some nice movie recording abilities. I was having a really tough time deciding between a Sony P200 and the Casio EX-Z750, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Z750 after some really grueling thought.

Hope it helps!

Augie
augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 2:37 AM   #6

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

There is really no other choice in this price range, or even the higher price ranges.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:35 PM   #7

Check out the Olympus C-7000 Z if you want excellent quality photos and manual controls too. This camera is packed with features and a great buy. See this review: (Scroll down to find this model): http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=6
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote