Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2005, 8:52 PM   #11
Administrator

Back At It wrote:
Quote:
After going to the link you provided, I noticed that 2 stores had the D70s Kitlisted as "in stock." Is this dependable, or another ruse? Are these stores reputable in your opinion, as I am ready to purchase.
Let me put it this way. I would never order from any internet vendor I wasn't familiar with that hasa Brooklyn address. ;-)

For whatever reason, the scam artists seem to be able to get away with their business practices in Brooklyn (somehave been there a long time). It seems to be the scam artist capital of the U.S. for Internet based Digital Camera Vendors.

That's one of the reasons I suggested using http://www.resellerratings.com to check out any vendor you consider (and to avoid vendors with a small number of customer reviews).

Someof the Brooklyn based scam artists have more than one website with more than one business name. When one gets a bad reputation, it's not unusual to see another new business start up with a fresh look to it (but the same old scam artist tactics).

As for Beach Camera (a.k.a., buydig.com), the price search engine says it's in stock, but their web site says 5 days. IOW, I don't think they have it.

If someone as large as B&H (a very reputable vendor) doesn't have it, then chances are, nobody else does.

BTW, with Nikon DSLR models, you'll see very little price difference between reputable vendors. When you see someone advertisingone at amuch lower price, Caveat Emptor.

My advise is to be patient if you are set on the D70s. Dealers should be getting them soon. Chances are, the larger dealers will all get them at about the same time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 9:04 PM   #12
Administrator

P.S. -- one of the vendors you referred to is new, but a little detective work found this (scroll down on the page to read customer reviews):

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9679.html

Even if the reviews were good (and they're not), I'd avoid a vendor with a small number of reviews (since vendors have been known to pad their own ratings).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 9:26 PM   #13
Super Moderator

i just stick with B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com)... that way i know what i am getting and who i am dealing with every time... their prices are respectable, and anyone that beats their price is more than likely not doing it entirelly legally..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 12:49 PM   #14

I am getting really close to purchasing the Nikon D70s kit. B&H is advertising it as in stock. Has anyone heard anything negative about them? I used to purchase film cameras and accessories from them w/no problem. Would they sell any of the Gray mkt. cameras?

Also, anyone have heard anything last minute about the D70s that would be cause for not buying it? I have researched it pretty well and feel pretty confident it's what I want.

Thanks everyone!

Rob
Back At It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:25 PM   #15
Super Moderator

B&H is the best in the business.. they do not sell grey market camera bodies.. they do sell grey market lenses, but they also sell the US versions, and they are clearly labeled as such.. buy with confidence, they have some of the best ratings in the business..

enjoy your d70s..

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 12:34 PM   #16

I bought a new D70 at my local camera shop, in business since 1937, on Sunday for the same price that it is going for at the reputable internet dealers.
I had to pay sales tax but thought it was worth it to have someone to throw the camera at in case of a problem.
I couldn't see the extra $50.00 and waiting for the D70s for a slightly larger display.
Dick
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 2:26 PM   #17

I would not hesitate to buy from BH Photo. I have ordered camera bodies, lens and other accessories from BH. I have always been satisfied with their service.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote