Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2005, 1:42 PM   #1

After a 15 year absence I am getting back into the "habit." My last experience was with a Mamiya 645, Omega 4X5 and Nikon F4S. That being said, I have quite a few Nikon AF lenses. My first instinct is to go to the Nikon F70s body. I have very little prior digital experience, so be gentle. Comments?
Back At It is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 2:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

if you want to stick with the nikon system.. you can't go wrong with the d70/d70s.. if you can find a d70 on sale, you can upgrade the firmware so that its af system is similar to the new d70s.. but the d70s will have a larger screen.. otherwise not much difference btwn the two..

welcome back friend, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 3:01 PM   #3
Administrator

Check on eBay for a used Nikon D100, they are even cheaper than D70 and a very capable digital body for your Nikon lenses. Those lenses will work on any Nikon digital SLR so it just depends on how much money you want to spend on the body.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 7:06 PM   #4

How does the D100 compare with the D70s? Also, how much difference would there be between a 6 and 8 MP camera?
Old May 15, 2005, 7:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome back. Alot has changed in 15 years. I got back in by accident, taking marketing mtl. for product. I had forgotten how much fun you can have taking pictures!!

Thanks again, Rob
Old May 15, 2005, 7:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the d100 will be somewhat slower than the d70s.. it has a metal frame versus polycarbonate frame of the d70.. image quality wise, there is very little difference.. i'd say the biggest advantage of the d70 is its near instantaneous startup time.. but as steve mentioned, both are very capable bodies for your lenses.. the difference between 6 and 8 megapixes is really quite small, i think its 12% difference in resolution.. i have a 20d which is 8mp, and the only time i have noticed a difference is enlarging a cropped image that i shot in RAW..

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 8:08 PM   #7

I think I will stick with the Nikon. Where can I buy a Nikon D70s kit with 18-70 lens. I have shopped the Internet and can't seem to finda USA version w/warranty. Also, how does everyone feel about the "gray market" cameras advertised everywhere? The D70s seems to be available in that venue.
Old May 15, 2005, 8:14 PM   #8

Back At It wrote:
Quote:
... I have very little prior digital experience, ...
You could consider one of the cheap shirt-pocket digicams. Nice to have something that small and you can always give it to your daughter/son/nephew/... for Christmas later if you decide you don't really want it. That will give you some experience with digital while you think about what to get for a serious digicam and while you watch the prices come down.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 8:31 PM   #9
Administrator

Back At It wrote:
Quote:
I think I will stick with the Nikon. Where can I buy a Nikon D70s kit with 18-70 lens. I have shopped the Internet and can't seem to finda USA version w/warranty. Also, how does everyone feel about the "gray market" cameras advertised everywhere? The D70s seems to be available in that venue.
The D70s is not shipping in the U.S. yet. Avoid gray market cameras. Nikon USA will refuse to service a camera not intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them to service it.

This is done to discourage gray market imports. Nikon Canada has a similar policy (they will refuse to service a camera not intended for sale in Canada).

The Regional Distributors know which cameras were intended for sale in their Region based on the camera's serial number. Also, I would not trust a store warranty.

Basically,buying a gray market camera is probably worse than buying a used camera. If the used camera breaks, you can still get it serviced by Nikon in the U.S. if you're willing to pay for the service (provided it was intended for sale in the U.S.). With the gray market camera, you're out of luck (and I would not expect anyone other than Nikon to be able to properly service their Digital Cameras).

If you want the D70s kit, I'd wait for it to show up in the price search engines, like this one:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Nikon_...Lens~CLT-HSNLF

But, make sure to buy from a reputable dealer (there are lots of scam artists with very nice looking web sites). Check out any dealer you buy from using http://www.resellerratings.com (and I'd avoid dealers with a small number of customer reviews since dealers have been known to pad their own ratings).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 9:28 PM   #10

After going to the link you provided, I noticed that 2 stores had the D70s Kitlisted as "in stock." Is this dependable, or another ruse? Are these stores reputable in your opinion, as I am ready to purchase.