Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2005, 1:39 PM   #1

below is a message i sent to another member regarding my selection....hope it helps. sorry about the poor grammar.....i was in a rush to get it off to him.

"yeah....i made my decision. even though it got just an ok review by one of the professionals(i believe it was digital camera resource) i decided to get the canon sd400 after comparing it to other cameras at the store. i live real close to b&h photo in manhattan if you've heard of it. i went there and looked at all the cameras and the canon felt, looked and performed the best for me. i'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but i wanted an ultra-compact that took the best pics with the least amount of noise. it didn't have to be the smallest but i didn't want it to be as big as the sd500 or the sony p100. here are the other cameras i looked at:

canon sd300
canon sd500 - too big
casio ex-z55
nikon s1
panasonic dmc-fx7
pentax 5si
sony p100,150, 200 - to big
sony t7

i originally got a konica minolta x50 from my gf for my bday but the pictures were awful. so i returned it and then did some research. the x50 has the same style of lens as the sony t7 and the nikon s1 which somewhat led me away from them.

i'm real happy with the pics and video the sd400 has taken. i took about 70 at central park just messing around with the auto mode and manual mode using the "my colors" features. i can email you some of the pics if you'd like. for a beginner i think they came out great. i'm sure if i knew a bit more they could be even better. after reading the review about the sd400 and other ultra-compacts along with my experience with the x50 i was extremely pleasantly surprised at the results."
deka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2005, 4:17 PM   #2

Well, yeah! But how's the LCD screen holding up? I hope you have good news about that.

Thanks.:|
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 4:45 PM   #3

how come you didn't consider the Casio Z750? :?:
mai9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4

great so far. i keep it in my front pocket. it's only been a few weeks so only time will tell. although i haven't heard the lcd'c being a big problem with the sd400......i've heard a lot of problems with the sd200 and sd300 but not the sd400. maybe canon tweaked the lcd somehow to make it more durable.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:28 AM   #5

mai9 wrote:
Quote:
how come you didn't consider the Casio Z750? :?:
i did look at the z750. i forgot to list it as well as a couple others. i didn't like the feel of it among other things. it felt "cheap" compare to the canon.