Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2005, 11:30 PM   #1

I think I have finally decided to buy the Cannon Power Shot A510. This will be my first digital camera so I am not sure what other items I will need to buy. What do I need to hook the camera up to my computer to save and print the pictures? I know I will need a battery charger, a larger memory card 214? or 512? What else?

Most of my pictures are family shots, indoors and outside. My brother and nephews are race car drivers so I take alot of picutres at a poorly lit race track at night. I don't expect this price camera to catch cars flying around a race track however. I want a good flash, great pictures, and zoom capabilities. If you don't think the A510 is right for me please let me know now. I have read so many reviews my brain is fogging up.

Any and all advise greatly appreciated.

Diane

DianeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 12:24 AM   #2

The only other thing you need is a small case and possibly a lens cleaning kit, which can be found at your local Wal-mart (good place for rechargeable batteries too).

The 510 has "good flash, great pictures, and zoom capabilities", but then again so do most other digicams. Just remember your flash's range, and stay within that range when shooting flash pics. The 510 is a great little camera, and provides a lot of performance for the money. It's a good place to start....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3

Phil, thank you for responding with good advise. I did not see anything in the Cannon A510 specs about PictBridge and I am confused on how I get the pictures on my computer. Can you help?

Thanks Diane

Old May 17, 2005, 1:43 AM   #4

Your camera should come with software for downloading.Windows xp has a program in it so you would need nothing if you run xp
You could buy an additional flash
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:46 AM   #5

Gordy, I do have Windows XP so I guess now I just need to buy the camera and start have fun.

Thanks Diane
Old May 17, 2005, 7:48 AM   #6

You will get everything you need with the camera - including some kind of photo editor. Start out using the stuff that came with the camera, but it is *VERY* likely that you will want a better photo editor in the future. But don't be in a big rush to get one - go out and enjoy your new camera, learn how to use it, and when you feel that your photos can be improved with a better photo editor - get one. I'd suggest that you shop for one of the photo editors that costs about US$100 at full retail (often on sale for much less) like PhotoShop Elements or PaintShop Pro.

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:46 AM   #7

DianeM wrote:
Quote:
Phil, thank you for responding with good advise. I did not see anything in the Cannon A510 specs about PictBridge and I am confused on how I get the pictures on my computer. Can you help?

Thanks Diane
To expand a bit on the above -- your camera will come with a USB cable and a software disc. You do not need to use the software however, but you can if you want to. If you don't want to, all you have to do is connect the camera to your computer, whereupon the computer will just recognize the camera as just another drive. Go to "my computer", and you will see the camera under "devices with removable storage". Just click on that, and the pics will be displayed. You can then save what you want to the computer for further use, and erase what you don't want.

Your software disc will most likely come with some photo editing tools. If not, then you can download free ones on the internet. These basic tools will allow you to change overall size, color, shape, etc......
Old May 17, 2005, 9:48 AM   #8

You will need some rechargeable nimh aa batteries and a charger for them if you don't already have one. 2300mah to 2500 mah are good. Probably you will want 4 so you'll always have some ready.The camera comes with alkaline aa which are useless as they run out in no time and are not rechargeable. Also, I have found using a card reader running thru a usb port is better than connecting the camera directly to the computer. It doesn't use up the batteries and is very fast. SD card reader for the A510.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 9:49 PM   #9

Thanks to each of you, I truely appreciate your help. If it's acceptable on this forum I have one last question. I can save $50 by buying the Canon A510 online versus a major retailer in store. What are the advantages of buying from a major retailer, if any? I assume the warranty is from Cannon and not the store.

Thanks Again

Diane
Old May 17, 2005, 10:19 PM   #10

The biggest reason by far (IMO) to buy locally is the ability to take the camera back if there is something wrong with it. The larger retail outlets like Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. will usually take things back quite readily if there is something wrong with it. Not so for many of the internet dealers. If there is something wrong, you will often have to take it up with the manufacturer.

There are however a few good online dealers to consider. One of the best is Crutchfield.com. Another is Newegg.com. Also, Circuit City has a web site from which you can order a camera, and then elect to pick it up locally, if you have one nearby...

PhilR.