Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1

I was thinking about buying a c-5000 as it has the remote, hot shoe (I have an FL-20 flash)and 5mp....a rarity on cameras at that price point

But, can a camera that I saw for about 200 dollars at a clearance sale compare to my 800 dollar c-3040 in the following areas

-general photo quality?

-low ligh performance...will it focus in the auto mode if the camera is set at 160iso in a dark restaurant? (I have heard pros and cons on this....my 3040 could take a shot in any lighting conditions always set at @ 100 ISO)

and yes, before anyone says so....I realize the cameras for me are either the c-5060 or 8080...i'm on a tight budget and just saw the c-5000 in a store for 200 dollars...they have 3 left

Unfortunately...to try this at home could cost me 30 dollars as they have a 15% re-stocking fee...

thanks

gregg

ps....just a photo from my 3040
Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 6:48 AM   #2

The 5050 is the most recent iteration in the 2040/3040/4040 series. The 5000 has a slower lens, allowing in less light for low-light shooting (and otherwise).

I'm sure picture quality will be fine on the 5000, but you'll be more susceptible to camera shake with available light photography due to the slower lens.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:44 PM   #3

yeah that makes sense...but....

If I can set the shutter to 100th/sec, the ISO to 160.....and my fl-20flash....I would think that would work in almost all circumstances short of visiting a cave in Afghanistan

circuit city here in Florida has it at $206 clearance...the one near me has 4 left....I'll watch to see if it drops in price...I'm just thinking about it

thanks though

Gregg
Old May 18, 2005, 10:02 PM   #4

Go here for even lower prices: http://www.dealtime.com/xCP-Olympus_...T-1~VK-3012400

I think the main advantage of the C-5000 would be higher resolution in outdoor shots. However, the C-3040 would probably be better in low light due to its very fast lens.

The school I worked for bought the 3040 about 3 years ago. It's a nice camera with very good build quality. However, you shouldn't be surprised that higher resolution cameras are being offered at prices much under $800. How about the people who bought low end DSLR's 3 years ago for well above $2000 looking at the all the recent DSLR's selling for less than $1.000?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 4:40 AM   #5

no I'm not surprised at all, considering how much the rebel has dropped in price and the costs of both the 5060 and 8080

but I have seen no other camera at the 200 dollar price that offers these 4 features....remote, 5mp, 3x zoom over 100mm, and hot shoe

also....when anyone reviews a camera in low light they always seem to give the final evaluation at the default setting (of course)...I have always wondered that if you set the ISO higher does that allow the camera to focus more accuratelyas now the chip becomes supposedly more light sensitive? and will it also take into consideration the olympus flash on the hot shoethat is supposed to work in conjunction with the auto program setting when shooting

on my 3040 I only use 100 iso....everything else is just too grainy

thanks for your thoughts

gregg