Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2005, 4:07 AM   #1
IPS

Hello,

How nice to see that people will share their knowledge. (sorry for my use of english - it's not my main language)

I have a nikon F-601 (I know some would say an antiquity:-) ) and would like to buy a digital camera: I am hesitating between canon 350D, Nikon d50andNikon d70s.

I like to do portraits and want to make basketball photos - so there could be problems with light an with speed : what would be the most appropriate camera? Could I continue to use the old nikkor objectives (lenses?) 28-70 & 70-210 with a Nikon digital camera?

IPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 5:37 AM   #2

From the reviews I think the Canon has the edge over the Nikons at high ISO settings for image noise. The Nikon D70 is an excellent camera so I'm sure the D70s and the D50 will be as well. I can't see much that seperates the D50 from the D70s. There's a different memory card type one command wheel instead of two, which would be a little more arkward to use at times but not a great handicap and one or two other minor differences.

What might swing it for you between Nikon and Canon is that the Nikon uses the F-mount so your existing lenses should be OK. There are some lenses that can't be used and some that can be used with limitations there's information here http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...2A%2A&p_li=#

and here

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...mp;p_topview=1

The other thing to look at is the size of the different makes. The Nikon is the same as a 35mm SLR the Canon is smaller. Some people prefer the smaller size some people hate it.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 11:19 AM   #3
IPS

thanks a lot

It's not easy to decide .... I think I would at this stage choose canon, but as I have the Nikkor 70-210 lense it's a hard choice :sad:

is there a big difference between the new lenses for the digicams and the older ones?
IPS is offline   Reply With Quote