Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2005, 1:16 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm looking for a camera for a tramping holiday. These are my wishes:

- it must use AA-batteries

- long battery time

- at least 3x optical zoom

- at least 4MP

- easy to carry; not (too) big and (too) heavy

- needless to say good photo quality

Anyone some suggestions for me?

Thanks
MauriceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 1:18 PM   #2

You could look at the Ricoh Caplio GX/Rollei DR5100, the Casio QV R41, QVR51, QV R61 or any of the "A" series Canons.
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3

go with the fuji S5100 it has 10x zoom, 4 megapixels and it has excellent battery life with AA batteries. Also ge the NIHM 2300 batteries ive heard they will take about 400 pics before needing recharging. I heard so much good stuff about this camera i ordered one for myself it should be here soon cant wait
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:08 PM   #4

oh yeah and you can get the S5100 for under $300 for all the features it has it could be in the $500 class. Ive seen a lot of photos taken by people on this site and all were awsome some were at full zoom and still good pics
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:57 PM   #5

- it must use AA-batteries

- long battery time

- at least 3x optical zoom

- at least 4MP

- easy to carry; not (too) big and (too) heavy

- needless to say good photo quality

This was exactly the question I was going to post.

I've looked into the fuji but it seemed big. I need to re-read about the Canons.

The battery situation is what is really going to help make my decision. I'm tired of the problems I've had with batteries and my Kodak cameras.

Any other suggestions or comments?
lisamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:40 PM   #6

The cowboy was correct in that the S5100 meets all of the listed criteria. Easy to carry, not (too) big and (too) heavy is difficult to quantify, however...by whose standards? Having lugged SLR film cameras with additional lenses around for many years, my S5100 is like a compact in comparison. Of course, the new compact and subcompact digicams are really small - almost to the point of being too small in some cases.

Unfortunately, in order to achieve a tiny camera, something has to go. Looking at the specs for compact cameras that use AA batteries, the first thing I noticed is that most of them only use two AA batteries, as opposed to four in the larger SLR-look cameras. Two means less power...most have no viewfinder or optical viewfinders rather than EVF (opticals use no power). Less power also usually means weaker flashes and longer flash recycle times. The smaller cameras also have fewer features, in general, such as manual settings, AF assist lamps, etc.

The only camera I know of that is considered a compact, uses four AA batteries, and has a decent array of features (minus the EVF), such as manual focus, shutter and aperture priority settings is the Canon A95.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:38 PM   #7

Quote:
The battery situation is what is really going to help make my decision. I'm tired of the problems I've had with batteries and my Kodak cameras.
What battery problems did you have with your Kodak battery? I have 3 digitals with proprietary lithium batteries and one with AAs. Unless I get a DSLR I'm not likely to ever have another camera that uses AAs as I much prefer the lithium. As they have improved the electronics the battery life has increased. My 3 year old Oly C50 will fill a 256Mb card with about 125 shots on a lithium battery if I am careful with the LCD, and the Casio Z750 I recently ordered is reported to be able to fill a 1 Gig card – some people are buying 2 Gig cards for it.

Lithium batteries make for smaller and lighter cameras. And you don't have to deal with self discharge if you leave the camera for a while.

Take a look through the 4Mp section of Steve's best camera list. There are several smallish cameras there that take AAs. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:49 AM   #8

goto dcresource camera list page :

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

you can straight away see resolution, zoom & battery in a single page for all cameras. then, after you make the shortlist of those that meet your requirement, you can then proceed to reading the review proper
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:46 PM   #9

Take a look at Fuji E550 . two AA's 4x optical zoom 6MP and small enough to take on a camping trip.
Kev
KEV61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:07 PM   #10

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will be looking into these models further!

The problem we've had with two Kodak cameras had to do with them freezing up and not recharging. Someone told me I must have been using the wrong batteries but they'd worked before (cv3). So we then bought rechargable NiMH batteries. One of the cameras started working again. The other day we went to use it and the batteries were dead. We recharged them along with two other AA NiMH ones and the camera still isn't working. I'm going to get new batteries to try and if that doesn't do it, I guess I'll have to make a decision on a new camera. It would be great if it is just the batteries but we never did figure out why the other Kodak wouldn't work.
lisamax is offline   Reply With Quote