Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2005, 9:07 AM   #1

I have been considering a Panasonic FZ20 because of its zoom capabilities and image stabilization. However, I have been hearing rumors of it being discontinued and (perhaps) a FZ30 soon to be seen. My other option was to get a Canon EOS Digital Rebel since I have lenses from my 35 mm Rebel. Can anyone describe the image quality differences between a digital slr and a plain digital in general, and between the EOS digital and the Panasonic in particular? Thanks in advance for your help.
adamsonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

Under ideal circumstances - bright day, you would be hard pressed to notice a difference between images from the 300d vs FZ20. The major difference between prosumer digicams like the FZ20 and any of the DSLRs is going to be the ability to use higher ISOs. Most digicams start showing significant noise at ISO 200. That same level of noise isn't present until about ISO 1600 on the 300d (and not until 3200 on something like the 20D). THis is a significant factor in low light or sports photography where you need high shutter speeds. This is due to the sensor size in the digicams.

Now, the FZ20 has a good lense with a constant 2.8 aperture and IS which is extremely good. But, you still wouldn't get the same level of bokeh from it's 2.8 lense as you can from an SLR lense (someone else can give you the technical reason why this is true). The other aspect is while the FZ20 has a good range lense you are still limited to just that - options for going wider or longer are not as easy as with an SLR.

Other aspects that a DSLR will do better is: burst rate, buffer speed, much better balance with external flash (if fz20 accepts an external flash).

Just some things to think about.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3

Thanks, Johng
adamsonp is offline   Reply With Quote