Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2005, 12:16 PM   #1

Hi, I am new here, and need to get a new camera for shooting pictures of my two toddlers, many of these photos are taken in our old house with poor lighting. I seem to be having a hard time locating a good and compact camera that works well in low light. Anyone know of some to recommend? I did have the Nikon 7900 for a few weeks and liked it, except it wasn't too great in low light either, although this seems like the best possibility at this point. I also need this camera to do a decent job of macro work for online auction listing of small items. THanks for you time, I really appreciate it.
birmantaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 12:25 PM   #2

Fuji F10.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks, I will look at this camera again. I initially ruled it out because I read that the lcd blacks out as it refreshers and it has a long recycle time. But, is it really significant? Will I get fast shot to shots? With two little kids it's a must, thanks
Old May 18, 2005, 7:27 PM   #4

If you can find one for sale, look at the Olympus C2100uz.

10x optical zoom, image stabilzation, low light assist.

2 megapixels.

Smartmedia Memory.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 7:59 PM   #5

I suggested the F10 because you stated you were looking for a compact digicam that works well in low light. I don't know of any other compact digicam that has an ISO 1600 setting, which should make it ideal for your low light needs.

The recycle times you were referring to are for the flash. with ISO 1600, you probably won't be taking many flash pics.
Even if you do, the recycle times are supposed to be a little over 3 seconds, which isn't all that bad. Whether the LCD blacks out or not, you can't take another flash pic until the flash unit has fully recycled. The shot to shot times are supposed to be very fast for this camera, and startup times are only around 1 second...very good for spontaneous kiddie shots.

Hope this helps you.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 2:19 PM   #6

Thank you for explaining the recycle time. And thank you for the recommendation! It really does seem like the best camera out there for me.
Old May 20, 2005, 4:49 PM   #7

I ran the Fuji f10 by my husband and he said he would like a better macro ( 5 cm ) Any other cameras that meet the requirements of the macro and decent indoor shots of kids? Thanks!