Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

I am going to get one of these two, but can't decide which one to get. I will never use the video feature, and like the size of the FZ-5, but folks keep telling me the 20 is better. HELP!!!!
ajsobaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 2:23 PM   #2

I was looking at the 3 and the 5 while looking at the 15 and 20. What made me go with the 15 was the manual focus ability. I didn't even look to much into the 5 because it didn't have it. Don't know what your needs are but the items the 20 has that I would be comparing are;

1. Manual focus ability

2. Macro ability

3. Hot shoe

Hope this spurs on your thoughts.

Jeff
AevnsGrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 2:58 PM   #3

What are you going to use the camera for?

If you are going to want to try and do things like Macro shots, wildlife pictures, flash photography, go for the FZ20 - you will need a manual focus feature.

Yes it is a tad bigger, but not uncomfortably so.

If you just want a "snapper" camera go for the FZ5.

the thing about the 20 is that you can grow into it, where as you can't quite do that so much with the 5. It is still a good camera, but...

Basically I guess I'm seconding what Gampa said.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

I am a relative newbie when it comes to cameras, but want this camera so that eventually I can take great scenery pics and have them blown up for office/home, etc. I am not sure how great my manual focusing will be. Is that feature used for situations where I want to focus on objects that aren't centered?
ajsobaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 5:17 PM   #5

Scenery pics are the last thing for which you would need manual focus in an otherwise very good autofocuser (not a real word...). In situations where your focus subject is off-center, just put the center of the viewfinder on the subject and push the shutter button halfway down. The focus is then locked, and then you can just recompose the shot, and push the shutter button down the rest of the way.

The FZ20 is not a "better" camera, it is just a different camera with different capabilities that may or may not be of use to any particular person. The lack of a hotshoe on the 5 will not be a great hinderance for a landscape shooter, since you can still add an accessory flash whenever you want using a flash bracket mount.

If I were getting a digicam for scenery shots made to put on the wall, I would consider something with more mp's and a wider lens, such as an Olympus 8080 or Minolta A200.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 11:53 AM   #6

Does anyone know if's possible to attach any sort of external flash to the FZ5 ?

It's the only feature that is pushing me towards the heavier FZ20.
PaulLeMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 2:35 PM   #7

You can always use an slaveflash which will trigger from your on board camera flash
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 3:44 PM   #8

That's an interesting idea. Will a slave flash be as good as a hot shoe based flash? A lot of people recommend the FZ20 with a Sunpack. I am very new to this level of photography, up to now just pocket sized point-n-shoot.
PaulLeMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 4:05 PM   #9

In my photograpghy class the teacher was doing some demo using a strobe light & external slave flash and results looked good. From what I know you won't be able to control the slave flash from your camera (as it is not connected through the hot shoe) so you might have to dial in some +ve/-ve flash compensation based on test shots. Don't know how useful the live histogram would be in this case but you can look the histogram after taking the shots.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote