Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2005, 5:52 PM   #1

I'm not new to photography, started in 1950, and have owned both Nikon and Minolta 35mms as well as many other. At the present time I have a Nikon CP950, it's a great camera but I want to step up.

Most of my photography will consist of shooting pictures of my woodworking projects for my web site and some scenic stuff, no low light or sports.

If I stick with point and shoot I am impressed with the Konica/Minolta A200.

If I step up to DSLR I am leaning towards the Nikon D70 which about maxes out my budget.

Advice would be appreciated befor I pull the trigger.

Thanks
Dick
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2005, 9:50 PM   #2

Unless you will be making very large prints, I couldn't see why you would want to get a dslr. Their speed advantage would be lost on a scenic/static object photographer.

The A200 is a very nice camera, and does have a wide-angle lens that would often bequite helpful for a scenic photographer. On the other hand, there are several others that would do just fine, and cost a lot less. It really depends on how many megapixels you need, as your photographic situations are fairly ordinary, and can be handled by just about anything...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3

Ditto what my neighbor says--Just about any camera wil fit your needs. If you want to "step up" and get great scenic pictures (zoom) as well as macro shots of your projects, get the Fujifilm S5100. You'll save so much cash from a D70, you'll be able to take a vacation and get those scenic shots.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 12:16 PM   #4

I went for the Nikon D70 and after two days of using it I am very happy with my decision. I think that if I had bought another point and shoot I would have allways wondered how much better a DSLR is. I think it was well worth the extra $$.
Dick
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote