Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

Just had a baby, digital photos are a must. I am pretty sold on a Panasonic superzoom. I have read really great reviews of both the FZ20 and FZ5. I am mostly a point and click guy, no experience at all with a film camera.

FZ5 lighter and smaller, ie more likely to carry it with me.

FZ20 Has a hot shoe, in case I might try a Sunpak. Kind of big and heavy.

One way to solve this dilemna is if someone hasgood experience witha slave flashon an FZ5. I have never used any external flash, but my web research lots of folks say they are really good. I'd love any advice.
PaulLeMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2005, 6:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

if you plan on using an external flash.. then the hotshoe on the fz-20 will allow you much greater control than any slave... and will make the fz-20 worth the extra money..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 8:38 PM   #3

I own the Z20 and love it BUT I think the Z5 would be better suited for your case. I take a ton of indoor portraits of my 2 girls (ages 1 and 4) and I find that the flash on the Z20 is not harsh so I will most likely never buy an external flash. And I figure that if I was to REALLY get into photography, I would save up to buy a dSLR like the Canon 20d or Pentax *ist D. If I had to pick today, I would pick the Z5. Is this going to be your primary as well as carry-everywhere camera? If so, the external flash + bigger camera means you will be carrying a LARGE camera bag with you at all times on top of your diaper bag. And if the camera is big, chances are you won't take it with you everywhere, and you will miss a lot of precious, spontaneous photo ops. Which means you will have to get another smaller camera....
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 3:09 AM   #4

I use the FZ20 as well, however I'm tempted to agree that in your case the FZ5 is the better option. It is smaller and lighter (not that the 20 is actually heavy at all). I would have thought that for most instances the built in flash would suffice for your needs.

Obviously though, if you think you want to develope your skills more, the 20 is much more akin to an SLR and may suit you a bit better.

woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 5:20 PM   #5

Paul, let us know which you choose -- and congrats on the new baby!

FYI, I was having the same dilemma recently -- I ended up choosing the FZ20, primarily because (and I hope I understood this correctly) the FZ20 lets you add adapters for filter attachments, etc.

If most of my shots were going to be indoors though, I think I agree with the others that the FZ5might suit you. The increased portability would be a plus, too.

Either way, from what I've read, you'll have a great camera.

Cheers from NYC,

Larry
citymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 9:15 PM   #6

Leaning towards the FZ5, but the FZ20 is just so well admired. But probably too heavy for me to carry it around. Right now I'm using a Nikon 5600 that I just put in my pants pocket wherever I go.

Here's a photo of my new son, Henry, 15 days old!

Attached Images

Old May 24, 2005, 9:24 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the best camera is the one you have with you all the time... if weight and size are really an issue, it would lean me even more towards the fz-5..

and it looks like you will have a wonderful subject for many years of photos.. thanks for sharing..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 9:09 PM   #8

Well I have appreciated all the great advice, last night placed my order for an FZ5. Although I love the solid feel of the FZ20 I decided I wouldn't bring it lots of places, so went for the smaller one.

The only feature I might miss is the hot shoe and better flash, so I'm sure I'll try out a digital slave flash sometime soon. Ordered the FZ5 from Butterflyphoto for $382, no hassle at all. My confirmation and tracking number arrived today, the camera will arrive on Friday!