Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1

hello everyone,

I've recently decided to buy a digital camera for myslef and I had my heart set on the Sony DSC W1, not only was it perfect for what i would use it for, it had everything i wanted AND they sold it at my work and I would get a discount on it. Today i went into work and found out they've sold all of their W1s. Now my question is wich of the 3 options should I take?

1. I could search for another W1, i'll probably have to pay more for it, but it still wont be too much due too the W5 and W7 that are out.

2. Go ahead and buy a W5 or W7 (still don't know wich) but i'd end up paying more for the camera, and i don't really have a whole lot of money to through into a "toy"

3. Just go and buy a totally different camera, i have no attachment to any certain brand so it's not like i NEED to buy a sony. But the camera must fit my requirments which are... it must be at least 5 megapixles, must have at least 3X optical zoom (more is just good too) it must have some sort of manual controls (doesn't have to be much) i would like the option to change the shutter speed if i like and something i really want wich i've only found on the W series, is the option to add a conversion lens to add telephoto or wide angle lens' also i don't want to spend much in excess of $300 USD

any imput from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated :-)
aloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 8:33 PM   #2

^^^^bump^^^^

Am I that ugly that no one can reply to my post? :sad:
Old May 24, 2005, 9:06 PM   #3

I like ultra zoom cameras. They allow you to get close to the action from far away, which is where I sit in most sports stadiums. I also like Fuji. I think they are usually good bang for the buck.

Myrecommendations:

Fuji FinePix S5100 (10X optical zoom, 4 megapixels, less than $250 online after rebate, but no image stabilization)

Fuji FinePix E550 (4X optical zoom, 6 megapixels, (12 interpolated), under $280 online)

Both these cameras have lots of manual controls as well as scene modes.

The gripes against them:

1. They use xD cards which are more expensive than sd and CF cards (though they are much cheaper than they used to be)

2. Some people have had problems withstuck zoom lenses on the E550. Somesuspect Fuji's quality control on this camera is not too hot.

3. TheS5100 doesn't have image stabilization which can make low light telephoto shotstricky.

4. The E550 doesn't have great low light focus.

However, most of the people who own these cameras seem to really like them.

You may not havegotten much feedback till now because yourstated requirements are met by tons ofcameras and people are reluctant to spend a lot of time letting you know all your options. Tell them you are thinkingabout buying one of 2 or 3 cameras and tell them what you intended uses are. Then you will more likely get faster and more numerous responses.

Good luck!

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 9:14 PM   #4

Thanks for your response, the only problem i see with the cameras you recomended (mainly the E550, i like that one) is that it doesn't have a thing to add different lens' or is that something you can do to most cameras?
Old May 25, 2005, 2:20 AM   #5

you can add different lesnes to the e550 and the 5100.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 3:01 AM   #6

Try the Kodak DX7590. Or if you don't mind the nearly same but 100-150 dollars cheaper DX6490. You can add a teleconvertor lens or wide angle lens. With the 10x opticle and 3x digital you can get way out there. Also has a lot of situation modes and manual settings. An example of the wide angle to zoom effect. The subject is about 4-5 miles distant and is shot through haze heat waves and smog.
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 3:05 AM   #7

And with 10x zoom and 3x digital zoom and a 1.7 teleconverter lens.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2005, 3:07 AM   #8

They also do macro!

Dawg
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2005, 3:14 AM   #9

If it's color your after try this.

Dawg
Attached Images