Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 24, 2005, 1:15 PM   #1

Hi,
I am new in here and would like to hear your opinion on what camera is the best one for a month in the wilderness, no electricity and a lot of zooming needed. Also I am no photo expert so ease of use would be a issue.
Apreciate your help and comments.
Sjonni
sjonnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 6:35 PM   #2

How many megapixels do you need?

Do you want a fixed-lens camera, or is the type where you can interchange lenses ok with you?

Do you have a budget?

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 10:56 PM   #3

Here is an other thread about an Africa trip:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...19&forum_id=87

1st, you need to figure out what you are trying to photograph - will a 3x optical zoom, ~35mm to 90mm, do or do you need 10x or 12x zoom, ~35mm to 300mm or 400mm.
Then how bulky a camera you want to carry or should it be small so you can hide it on you and sleep with it.

2nd, you are stuck with a camera that uses AA power, preferably 2 AA batteries so you have to carry half as many batteries. You might be able to use a solar battery recharger for AA batteries/other batteries. www.SierraTradingPost.com is remaindering the Brunton Solarport 2.22 Watt solar power source/AA battery recharger and I am pleased with the one I have.

In summary, you are probably looking at a Canon in the compact type or Fuji, older Olympus, in the super zoom type.

3rd, you have to test and see how low a resolution you can live with so you know how many memory cards to buy. Think about carrying a multi format card reader and some CDs in case you can get access to a computer to download images and make a CD.

nigel
nigeldh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 12:06 PM   #4

Hi PhilR and Nigel
I was thinking plus 4 MB. I think that fixed lens would be my choise. I have an 35 mm camera with a 70-300 mm lens and would bee looking for something similar.
regarding size i think smaller is better
Budget is up to 1200$.
Sjonni
sjonnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:30 PM   #5

sjonnib wrote:
Quote:
Hi PhilR and Nigel
I was thinking plus 4 MB. I think that fixed lens would be my choise. I have an 35 mm camera with a 70-300 mm lens and would bee looking for something similar.
regarding size i think smaller is better
Budget is up to 1200$.
Sjonni
Well, the good news is thathere in the U.S., you couldn't find a 4mb (should be mp) fixed-lens that would be that expensive, even if you wanted one!

Your needs can easily be met with one of the 10x-12x "mega-zoom" cameras, and you can find a 4mp with AA batteries for under $500. Consider the Fuji 5100, Minolta Z3, and Canon S1 IS or the about to be released S2 IS. All of these will have an auto mode, so using them will be easy. They will also have manual exposure modes as well, which is nice to have should you ever decide to learn how to use them.

Since you will be away from electricty, then you should consider a camera that uses AA batteries. You can carry extra alkaline or lithium disposable batteries to use in case your rechargeables run out.

Lastly - I know you stated you want smaller andfixed-lens, but your budget will allow the purchase of a digital SLR (dslr). You might want to do some research into these as well, since they will provide the most flexibility and best image quality...

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:46 AM   #6

Are you REALLY going to have no electricy? I went on safari and had a generator available and thus was completely digital. I got phenomenal pix on my d100 using the 80-400 VR lens. The secret is the lens. Go with the canon 100-400 IS or the nikon 80-400 VR or equivalent. You will be very happy. Go digital if at all possible- then you can have any ISO you want on demand.

Ann
ann s is offline   Reply With Quote