Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 24, 2005, 4:41 PM   #1

I am in the market for a digicam... My budget is $300 and under.. i will be using it for mainly when i am hanging with friends, so it needs to be able to fit into my pocket, also i will me taking some scenic and some sports shots with this, but the sports shot aren't very important

Requirements:
1) Small compact size
2) 4-5 megapixels
3) no smaller than a 1.8" LCD (but would prefer 2 or 2.5")
4) under $300

I have been looking into the Sony DSC-S90, Sony W1, Pentax Optio s5i ... open for any and all suggestions... please help what camera do you feel would best suit my needs for the price range.. any help is appreciated!

Thank you in anticipation
BBeck787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 6:44 PM   #2

What sized pocket do you want to fit in? There is a large difference between a shirt pocket and pant pockets.

I am personally not a Sony fan for camera, but many of them do take pretty nice pictures. I have heard great things about the Nikon compacts, such as the 5600 and 4600. They are very small, yet should take nice pictures, and include several nice features. If you want real customizability, such as shutter/aperature adjustment, photometry, etc., a larger compact may be a better idea. For this, I reccomend the Fuji e series, primarily the e550. It is the camera I purchased recently, and I have been very happy with it. It has the larger 2" screen, full manual modes, 6MP, and can fit in a medium-large pocket. You may also want to consider the Canon A95.

The W1 seems pretty nice, esspecially its lens, but it seems over your price range. If you give us more ways to narrow it down, we can probably help you more easily.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:48 PM   #3

ok... i think i can extend my price range to 350... and i am a novice to photography so i will probably using a lot of the auto features.. and not really any manual features. i also find the pentax s5n appealing... i will have the camera in a pant pocket, not shirt pocket... i hope that helps... if you need to know anythign else just let me know

edit: the sony dsc-p100 i have also been looking at

edit 2: would anyone recommend broadway photo? it seems to have good deals.. it has the sony w5 priced at 279 and the sony t1 at 299 aswell as the sony s90 at 265... has anyone had good or bad experiences with this store?
Old May 24, 2005, 8:43 PM   #4

From reviews, it seems either the P100 or W1 will make a fine camera. The Canon Elphs and Casio Exilims are also worth a look, IMO.

Anyway, mostly I'm trying to tell you to stay away from Broadway Photo.

You can go to this website to check on a seller's rep:

resellerratings.com

Broadway Photo is a scam operation.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 9:17 PM   #5

thanks for your help... i am leaning toward the W1 and the W5 is there any difference between them? if so what is it?
Old May 25, 2005, 1:43 PM   #6

There are minor differences (I believe, LCD resolution, burst mode), but I believe that they aren't too dissimilar.

I would post this question in the Sony forum on this site, you might get a better response.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote