Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2005, 8:57 AM   #1

Hi,

I am wanting to buy a 5 MP camera, for 5x7 --> 8x10 photos

Primarily to be used as a P&S, but need good low light capabilities

I am not a photo freak so manual controls will not particularly help me

Super zoom is not essential but always handy, looking at steves reviews on the DX7590, Z740 and CX 7530... which camera will be best for me. Is the CX7530 a rubbishy, cheap and inferior camera to the other two?

How much better are the other two really for my purposes?

What is the answer to life the universe and everything?

Budget wise, Icanstretch upwards,but not if I don't need to... there are other more worthwhileuses of my money.

Thanks
PastorMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 9:13 AM   #2
Administrator

PastorMark wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I am wanting to buy a 5 MP camera, for 5x7 --> 8x10 photos

Primarily to be used as a P&S, but need good low light capabilities

What do you meant by "good low light capabilities"?

You'll need to use the flash indoors with most non-DSLR models for moving subjects (i.e., people). Otherwise, you'll get motion blur (shutter speeds will be too slow without a flash indoors). You can boost ISO speed to help with shutter speeds (but this tends to produce objectionable noise at higher ISO speed settings on most non-DSLR models).

So, I'd take the flash range into consideration for any model you consider if you mean indoor photos of non-stationary subjects. For stationary subjects, you can use a tripod indoors to prevent motion blur from camera shake.

Flash range is usually rated two ways. The first number is the range at the camera's wide angle lens position. The second number is the range at the camera's full zoom position. Most compact models lose light as more zoom is used (so flash range is shorter, too).

In lower light, you'll also want to take LCD/EVF useability into consideration. Some models are not as useable in low light (because the display does not "gain up").

Steve usually discusses display/viewfinder useability in the conclusion section of each model's review here.

Another factor you'll want to consider is a models' ability to focus in low light. Again, see the review conclusion sections.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 9:26 AM   #3

PastorMark wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

What is the answer to life the universe and everything?

Forty-Two. Now pastor, you should be able to supply the question!

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist).
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 10:26 AM   #4

PastorMark, try this link. It'll show the 7530 at work.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...48&forum_id=18

BigDawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 5:25 PM   #5

"This thread WILL change your life"

Hmmm... as of 5/25/2005, 5:25 PM EST, over 50 people have viewed this thread. Am I the only one still waiting?

;-)
citymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 5:50 PM   #6
Super Moderator

have you looked into any other brands of cameras... when you say you are looking for good low light, as everyone is, in a p&s.. the first camera that comes to mind is the fuji f10.. this camera boasts useable ISO's up to 1600.. this will not only allow you to use available light more efficiently.. but by turning up the ISO you also get the added advantage of extending your flash range.. just some things to keep in mind..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 8:13 PM   #7

Thanks for all your advice, I have checked out the specs and cameras, an still can't decide which one is better for me... Particulary regarding the build quality of the CX7530 compared to the DX7590 or Z740... the photos look good.
PastorMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 9:05 PM   #8

I bought a 7530 for my parents when I was visiting Hong Kong. I don't think the build quality is bad. It seemed to me that it would survive a one meter fall onto a non-concrete surface.

My first reaction to your inital posting was, "wow, those are different kinds ofcameras". The 7530 is a very easy to use semi-compact point and shoot (with manual options). The others (costing perhaps50 to 100 percent more) are superzooms. If you want something you can stick in your pocket, get the 7530. If you don't mind the larger size and higher price, get one of thesuperzooms. I love superzooms.

These cameras will not be as good as DSLR's in low light. However, they all have ISO 800 settings available, which should help.

Just off the top of my head, I would go for the Z740, then the 7590.

If I were focused on ease of use for a novice, I would go for the 7530.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:12 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the z740 is probably the highest quality camer that kodak has made thus far..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:26 AM   #10

Hi! Exactly in the middle between these noncomparable cameras (CX7530- P&S pocketsize; Z740-superzoom) is the Kodak DX7440. Technically very advaced camera. Can be used either as P&S or advanced with full manual controls. A big plus to the mentioned ones, is larger 2.2" very bright, indoor outdoor with gain up in low light conditions LCD. Best value for price.

Maris
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote