Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2005, 11:20 AM   #1

I'm looking for opinions on these 2 cameras and have not seen a professional review of the sony yet. The canon has a 4X zoom which is desirable but the sony seems to have a super fast shutter lag.Also if i went with the sony ,are the teleconverters a good option to have the best of all worlds as far as ability and compactness. thanks,biffer
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2

Steves has a review of the Sony DSC-W1, which is essentialy the same camera as the W5. (The case was reworked to be less expensive to produce for the W5 & maybe 1 or 2 small changes)

And yes there are good converter lenses available (for a price!) though you may need a slave flash to use it in doors. You can do a search on this topic.
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:51 AM   #3

Pic-It...Thanks for the reply.I had a Canon a60 and was frequently frustrated by the shutter lag. Anybodyhave any recommendations on other cameras i should consider with the canon a520 or the Sony DSC w5.

biffer

biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:44 AM   #4

I had the Sony W5 very briefly and returned it. The camera had all sorts of focus problems. Inside it was almost impossible to get a clear picture and they have a very "soft focus" default. It's a beautiful looking camera and had a nice, large LCD, but picture quality was my highest requirement and it was lacking. Then I got a Canon A510 and find it much easier to take a clear picture with excellent color. I played around with Sony's settings and was not able to overcome the focus issues. So the Canon won and even with 3 MP, it works well. I noticed you have a shutter lag question, yes there is a longer shutter lag when using flash with the Canon, maybe 3 to 5 seconds with good batteries, not much of a lag with no flash.

mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote