Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1

I'm thinking of buying a gray market D70 with Japan LCD, is there a way to change the language or are these fixed?

Also any help or reasons why I should avoid the "gray" model?

Thanks for your help.

localbrew69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2

Nikon will NOT service gray market cameras, period. That means, even if you're willing to pay for repair costs, they will NOT do it. Go to Ans ID 331 on the Nikon USA website customer support for their statement.

It's up to you. If the cost of a D70 is chump change to you and you don't mind the risk, then go ahead. Myself, I wouldn't do it, especially because a D70 body can be had for $750 or so right now. Of course, if someone's offering you a gray market one for less than half that, you might consider it. If it's just a savings of $100 or so it just doesn't seem worth the risk to me.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

exactly, if anything at all goes wrong with your camera, you are out of luck.. its just not worth it..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 7:10 PM   #4

I agree with you, but you can get "gray" for $419 they say the LCD is in Japanese. Can you change the language on these?
localbrew69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 9:58 PM   #5

No doubt, that's a tempting price. However, for me that's still more than $400 worth of electronics (susceptible to failure at any time) without a warranty. Personally, I'd wait a while, as the D70 might drop just a tad bit more, to maybe a $650 or so street price.

On a related note, that price is too good to be true, unless you have a friend bringing it back personally from Japan (well, probably not, things there are expensive) or wherever else it is that cheap to you. I'd really be worried about whether someone is trying to scam you. You'd better make sure the seller is legit.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 10:10 PM   #6
Super Moderator

yea.. there are a lot of scam artists out there doing a miriad of things..

1) they will offer a ridiculous price on say amazon's marketplace.. then when you contact them, they send a fake email from amazon and will ask you them to directly wire you money via western union... never.. ever.. directly wire someone money

2) they will offer a ridiculous price, yet when you order it they will try to sell you the batter, charger, etc.. because that price is body only.. therefore by the time you buy all the supposed to be included accessories, you have saved nothing...

just be careful... 419 wasted is alot worse than a few hundred more with a quality product..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote