Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2005, 6:00 PM   #1

I looking for a digital camera for the following use: action shoots of my kids playing baseball. I want to be able to print 8X10's of the good shots. I've decided I need: optical viewfinder, anti-shake features, manual focus, optical zoom of 10 -12. minimal shutter lag. I only decided manual focus because shots are frequently thru a screen or netting that are used to protect spectators at ball parks.. Longest shot would be 220 feet away. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these assumptions.
I'm considering Minolta Dimage Z3 and Panasonic DMC-FZ15.I'm open to suggestions however and dont really care about indoor shots too much I'm willing to spend up to $450 if it makes sense . Pklease help with your real-life experiences with suitable cameras. Thanks
gillnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 9:05 PM   #2

AFAIK, there is no 10-12xw/IS camera with an optical viewfinder. Therefore, the FZ15 and Z3 do not have this feature.

You don't need IS if you are doing sports action shots. This type of photography demands higher shutter speeds in order to freeze action. If your shutter speed is high enough to do this, then it will also be high enough to cancel any handheld camera movement.

Nonetheless, one of the better choices in your price range is the FZ15, mainly for it's fast lens and manual focus, and not so much for it's IS. If you can drop the optical VF requirement (which you will need to anyway...), then it would be a good choice, as would the FZ20.

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 6:34 AM   #3

PhilR......Thanks for your help. I can't believe that there aren't more readers that have an opinion on the subject and are willing to offer it.
gillnet
Old May 28, 2005, 8:20 AM   #4

gillnet wrote:
Quote:
PhilR......Thanks for your help. I can't believe that there aren't more readers that have an opinion on the subject and are willing to offer it.
gillnet
This time of year, traffic on forums slows a bit. Lots of people busy with end of school, start of summer vacation, upcoming holidays, etc. If you had posted in the middle of sept., you would probably get many more replies.

Since I don't have kids, and am fortunate enough to only have to work four days a week, I can spend more time here than the average person....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 8:43 AM   #5

gillnet,

The reason more people didn't respond (I for one)is because you specified a combination of features that no one was aware of on any existing camera (the optical viewfinder thing). You can thank PhilR for keeping the thread alive.

Another reason may be your screen name - many people object to that method of fishing.

After the tone of your last post, you may never get another reply. The members of this forum are extremely helpful if approached in the right way.

I have a Fuji S5100...4 MP, 10X zoom, no IS. I've taken a lot of baseball pics, and the screen/netting thing can be a real problem. I don't think manual focus is the solution, although it helps. The current crop of digicams have a great depth of field, therefore, even if your baseball player is perfectly in focus, you will still see the fence/screen/netting in the shot. One work around is get right up against and shoot through the fence or screen. Even if a portion of the fence is visible, it will be very faint, and it can be easily cropped out. Another solution is to move down the baseline to where you can shoot over a fence, and not have any netting in front of you. That is where the megazoom comes in handy. The worst scenario, is being several feet from the screen, and using autofocus - if the AF locks onto the screen, you get a nice shot of the screen with some fuzzy players in the background.

Good luck in your search.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 8:57 PM   #6

Thanks, Hun. That was very helpul info. That's exactly the sort of help I was looking for. I welcome anyone with more ino/opinions on suitable cameras.
gillnet