Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1

Heres what I need,

I need to buy a camera for my sister for her b day tommrow.

What she needs - A camera that she will use for a long while, till it breaks most likely and one that years from now the pictues still look good. She will take pictures of her kids and large pieces of art at high quality. She will NEVER use the manuel controls and will just stick with the auto function. It will hang out in her purse for days on end.

What I need - To buy a really cool and sleek looking gadget that takes awsome pictures to hold over sibilings heads as the gift.

Importence - 1. Picture Quality 2 Coolness 3 Durabilty Memory cards are not an issue

Im looking at

Sony Cyber-shot 5.1MP Digital Camera dsc-T7 - Looks sexy and girls would love it. Worry about picture quality and durabilty and need to drive 45 minutes tommorow morning to get it.

Canon PowerShot 7.1MP Digital Camera SD500 - Brand new, love the series even though I havnt bought one since 2001. Worry about picture quality and durabilty. Have to drive 45 minutes to best buy to get it in the morning.

Sony Cyber-shot 7.2MP Digital Camera - Silver DSC-P200 - 100 dollars less and 10 minutes away at radioshack. Looks bad and is very old. Really worry about picture quality.

What would you all recommend. please help me fast as possible as i know nothing on this subject and am even more confused after 2 hours of research. Other camera suggestions would be nice although they need to be somewhat compact. I willing to shell out around 500 dollars.

If some one would be kind enough to post this in dpreview.com forums as I could not register for them and link it to me.

Thanks so much for all your help.

tfp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 11:40 PM   #2

1st, don't forget to breathe....2nd, I think most people would LOVE to receive the Canon SD500 as a gift - definitely the "coolest" camera out right now and has awesome image quality as well. As a proud owner of Sony P150, I don't think the Sony P200 looks "old"...but the Canon is definitely the "hot, new kid on the block". But there's no doubt that the image quality of the P200 is Awesome as well! But since you didn't like the looks of it, I'd get the Canon (assuming your sister has similar taste of course)
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:40 PM   #3

tfp321 wrote:
Quote:

Sony Cyber-shot 7.2MP Digital Camera - Silver DSC-P200 - 100 dollars less and 10 minutes away at radioshack. Looks bad and is very old. Really worry about picture quality.
Very old?? It just came out this year!

It has very good picture quality. For the average person, there is noneed to spend more....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

can't go wrong either way w/ the sony p200 or the canon sd500.. though the canon does have the edge in sexiness..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5

Wow. That was fast. Awsome.

Sorry for calling it old but I know several people with the model, including a family member and assumed it has been out for a while.

But what if i need to get a shot of mick jagger walking through a restraunt. I read some awful things about the sony t series regarding production flaws. Are the serious? How much worse would the t7 be compared to the cannon and the 200.

And the reason this gift is as such is because my sister is in a point of her life where her situation calls for a rather large gift.
Old May 25, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i have heard mixed reviews on the T series in general.. some love it.. some hate it.. i think that it would take perfectly acceptable pictures though...
Old May 26, 2005, 12:37 AM   #7

Alright well im going out to best buy in the morning and it will be the canon 500 if the have it in stock because it says on the website that the closet one is un available. Hope the have crappy workers who fail to update the invetory correctly and in a timy fashion.

If not then the sony t7 just because it is so small.

Any other new cameras that are small like that I should consider just in case.
Old May 26, 2005, 12:42 AM   #8
Super Moderator

mb the s1 from nikon.. or canon's s400..
Old May 26, 2005, 12:46 AM   #9

Hi: if you are looking for both small and "cool", then look at the the new Olympus Verve. According to my younger friends, it is the utimate " cool " factor.

But beside the looks, you can get it it different colors, the body is weatherproof, and the photos are excellent. Comes in 4MP or with the Verve S you get 5mp.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...ylusverves.asp

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:31 AM   #10

Ok off to bed that was some great help. Put to rest some of my fears and helped me make a wise decsion even though I think the size of the dsc t7 is nice and looks nice the canon sd500 is the better camera and lets face it, its hot.

Thanks, im sure i will be back soon when i get the time to get a digital slr now that I just read so much. Its going to be hard to replace my nikon 200? after so many long, long years.

Thanksagain.