Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1

Hello

I am seeking advice for a few camera. My brothers wife asked for my recommendation, but I haven't been keeping up for a while.

She will be using the camera to take numerous pictures of specimens (insects) mostly indoors...but with occasional use outdoors as well.

Basically, looking for a good camera with a great macro feature, good optical zoom and easy to use.

Price should be under $400-$450...please no cameras over $500.

Thanks for all the help!
ckeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 6:03 PM   #2

In your price range, there are several hundred choices, as just about any digicam can take macro. In order to narrow down the list, you have to decide how many megapixels you need, and whether or not you will have enough ambient light, or will you use flash for your macro's.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 1:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the input...

I know most cameras have macro capabilities, but I am looking for one or a few that stand out. I know some are better than others...

The camera should be between 3.2MP and 5MP...no need for anything more, and there should be enough ambient lighting where most of the pictures will be taken.
ckeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:54 PM   #4

Try looking at some of the macro photos on Steve's site. Nikon's digicams have always excelled in the macro photography arena. In fact most of the digicams in the 200 to 400 dollar price rangefrom big five digicam manufacturers do a pretty good job. I.e., canon, nikon, olympus, sony, and minolta. I've only had experience using the nikon 5000 which is pretty old by digicam standards. You should be able to get demosin the camera store. I'd read a few reviews first, because most salespeople have certain brands that they prefer to sell.

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 3:00 PM   #5

I have two Olympus cameras, a C-730 (similar to the current C-765) and a C-5500. The newer 5500 focuses down to less than an inch, but I find the macros hard to execute because in order to avoid a parallax problem with the optical viewfinderI have to look through the LCD screen--and with my vision I end up with a considerable amount of sway. The 730 has an electronic viewfinder, showing me what the lens sees. I find taking macros with that camera much easier. An Olympus forum on another site almost always has some impressive macros posted, if you'd like to check it out:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1008

Alisande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:50 AM   #6

I highly recommend the Pentax Optio S5i. It has a great super-macro mode and is nice and compact. It's my 7th point and shoot and really like the macro performance.
jonglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:24 PM   #7

I have used the Sony F717 for macro (medical) close up photography. It is somewhat bulky, but phenomenal close up images.
ftausk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:42 PM   #8

The Pentax Optio 750Z has a great super macro, down to 1cm (better than specs) and has 7MP and a flip & twist LCD which is very useful if doing close to the ground shots.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:02 PM   #9

Nikon 4500 - legendary macro - read the reviews at this and other digicam sites.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote