Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

Hi folks, I've read many posts on here as well as Steve's reviewsand was wanting a little more info, if you please. Looking for a good all around camera w/ 10-12x zoom. I'm definately going to choose either a pana or kodak. I would appreciate any input. I am a beginner but I believe photography is a hobby I would really enjoy therefor I am willing to spend a fair amount of $ for something a little better than a "basic model" though I dont need anything near a pro camera and price is a concern. I believe I would use this camera for a little bit of everything... my youngsters, wildlife (which is why i want the zoom), outdoor sporting events, various landscapes, portraits,and even some macro pics.

I guess I'm just looking for more input on either of these 2 manufactures. Since kodak has been making cameras for so long and they sell so many, I feela little more comfortable buying one.

I'm thinking I want 1 of the following...fz5, fz20, 6490, 7590, or the z740. The 6490 is just a little more than half the price of the fz20 but seems kinda limited.Also I may later want to add lenses and an external flash. Is the fz20 my only option here? What about manual focus, how important is it?Getting the photo from the camera to the computer w/ ease is also inportant. Seems like w/ a name like easyshare this would be a good choice, howeveris the pana's system easy to manipulate?

username99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 5:59 PM   #2

Between Pany and Kodak, there is no contest. Pany's have faster lenses, image stabilization, a tiny bit more zoom,and IMO much better ergonomics. The Kodak's -- hmm.... they have a bigger lcd.

You just have to decide if you whether or not need manual focus and a hotshoe....

PhilR.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 6:49 PM   #3

I am almost ready to buy either the FZ5 or FZ20. I will probably get the FZ5 as I probably won't mess with manual focus or have use for an external flash on the hotshoe. I think the FZ5 is a bit more expensive as well, but other than the size and price, I think they perform equally from what I read.

Marcus
pontiac005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4

You wrote: "I think the FZ5 is a bit more expensive as well, but other than the size and price, I think they perform equally from what I read."

From what I have seen the FZ5 is less expensive, with many online stores offering it for just under $400.

Whatever, I think the Panasonic superzooms are a good choice.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:01 PM   #5

oops I meant the FZ20 is a bit more expensive.:-)
pontiac005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:45 AM   #6

I've been looking at the Panasonic FZ5 after reading the reviews at http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ph...ews/index.html. Are there any disadvantages to the ultrazooms? They seem so much more versatile that I wonder why they aren't more popular.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:54 AM   #7

I have four digital cameras and three medium format film cameras. I've had the Panasonic FZ-20 for about three months now and absolutely love it. The Leica designed lens is very, very good and will maintain f2.8 throughout the entire zoom range. That, plus the optical image stabilization, means you can get handheld shots that would be very difficult, or impossible, with most other cameras. I love my FZ-20! The FZ-5 has the same lens and OIS, as do the FZ-4, FZ-10 and FZ-15. You may want check them out as well. Good luck to you.

Here's a sample I took with the FZ-20:
Attached Images

pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 1:59 PM   #8

vjack wrote:
Quote:
Are there any disadvantages to the ultrazooms?
The only disadvantage from my viewpoint is that they are larger cameras. Of course this is to be expected, as larger lens would mean larger camera. It would be nice however to one day have a 12x/IS that fits in a shirt pocket....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 2:01 PM   #9

vjack wrote:
Quote:
I've been looking at the Panasonic FZ5 after reading the reviews at http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ph...ews/index.html. Are there any disadvantages to the ultrazooms? They seem so much more versatile that I wonder why they aren't more popular.
Because of the small sensor size, the pictures tend to be noisy (like ultracompacts).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote