Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2005, 2:53 AM   #1

Ok, I have decided that it is time to invest in a digital SLR. I have been an amature photographer for about 4 years. I am a B&W film photographer, and I usually use my Nikon FM2 (ocasional medium format as well). But it is time to pick up a digital for those color shots I have been dying for.

Let me start this out with this: I am a SERIOUS photographer. Photography is my life. I have recently seen some rather amazing color photography, and have wanted to branch into it (still am somewhat biased to it... but what better way to get to know it more?!). Plus, it is hard to find labs to develope my film in during the summer, and soon will be even harder.

I photograph most types: nature, portraits, architecture (ocasionally), emotive, infrared, macro(plan on getting more into this). And probably 10 more genres that I can't remember.

So here is the question.

What type of digital SLR would best suite a photographer such as myself? I am used to film quality, developed and printed in a darkroom (I do it all, of course). I want something that will give me superb quality in the image, and a camera that will last and wont be outdated in a year. I would like a range of shutter speeds, and apertures as well (though as I have said, I'm not to familiar with digitals, so I don't know much about options here). I couldn't care less about preset scene modes. I of course do it all manually.

Lastly, I don't want to spend a fortune. I need quality, not features. I don't want to spend more than.... a grand I would say (and thats probably pushing it too). I would like the most for my money, and want to stay as low as possible.

So what does anyone suggest? I've seen the Nikon D70 appearing just about everywhere. Plus after my FM2 purchase, I'd trust Nikon with my life.

Here is an example of my color photography, and what I tend to go for: http://www.deviantart.com/view/11408270/
change1625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 5:43 AM   #2

I have the Nikon D70 and it's a great camera. The Cannon D350 has received some great reviews but that would mean changing all your lenses, which ups the price. It's also quite a bit smaller than the other DSLRs which some people don't like. The Cannon has ISO 100 the Nikon ISO 200 as the slowest speed. This is not an issue as far a quality is concerned but affects your range of settings. Also the Nikon is 6Mp and the Cannon 8Mp but it reality that is a very small difference. The shortly to be release Nikon D50 also appears to share much with the D70 at a lower price. One possible issue is the rumour that the White Balance information will be encrypted on this camera as it is on the D2X. Ifit is this will limit your options for RAW file processing software and if you want the best out of these cameras and the maximum creative possibilties IMHOyou need to shoot RAW.

These cameras have a good range of shutter speeds and as they take SLR lenses they also give a good range of apertures.

Don't forget to factor in the price of image processing software.

As for not being out of date in a year sorry not possible. Next year they will be a new camera out with twice the features at half the price, that's just a fact of life in the digital world. Unlike film you can't replace your sensor with the latest available technology everytime you cange a roll. However these cameras can take great pictures and if they take great pictures today they'll still be taking great pictures next year.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 6:35 AM   #3

I do appreciate the help. Nikon seems to be my best bet so far.

And image processing software is not a problem. I already have my beloved photoshop. Pretty used to editing photographs in it too.
Old May 27, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4

anyone else have any input?
Old May 27, 2005, 9:25 PM   #5

change1625 wrote:
Quote:
... and a camera that will last and wont be outdated in a year. ...
Most cameras (digital and chemical) will last well more than a year, but dicams are in good part computers. So you are virtually guarenteed to see a better digicam within a year that is also cheaper. The old digicam will coninue working as well as it ever did (most likely), but you will consider it outdated within two years - three at the outside.

I expect that will change three to five years after Moore's law breaks down. So don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote