Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2005, 2:51 PM   #1

I just got back from Circuit City, and the trip forced me to reconsider my camera purchase. I had initially ruled out SLRs due to the cost and the fact that I'm a camera novice. Based on the many reviews I read and a few comments I received here, I was set to buy the Panasonic FZ5. Unfortunately, this camera was too small for my big hands, and there was just no way I could use it comfortably.

After discovering that every single point-and-shoot model they had felt too small, I found the only two SLRs they had: the Canon Rebel and Rebel XT. I think I could get used to the XT, but the handgrip was not large enough (and didn't have enough space between the grip and the lens) to be what I'd call comfortable. In constrast, the somewhat larger older Rebel was a good fit.

Two questions for you:

1. Are there larger point-and-shoot models I should try to find?

2. If I go the SLR route, will I be able to take pictures as good as what I'd get with a point-and-shoot using the auto mode until I learn what I'm doing? I really like the idea of learning about photography and getting into it as a hobby, but I want to make sure I can take decent pictures in the meantime.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 5:53 PM   #2

vjack,

I have large hands, and the Fuji S5100 just jumped right up out of the store display and into my hands -a perfect fit! It's no SLR, but it's a great camera...SLR look...4 MP, 10X zoom, good video mode, good macro, AF assist lamp, lots of auto stuff, and enough manual controls to help you learn what they're all about.

Try one in a store - if it's too small, then I guess you have to go the DSLR route.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 6:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to see if I can find one of these to see what the size is like. Does it have image stabilization?
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 6:44 AM   #4

No IS on the S5100...one reason why the price is low and the battery usage very low. I don't miss it.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:14 AM   #5

Sorry, no further advice on which camera, as I tend not to keep too up to date with newer models until I want one. But, you might consider getting the Battery Grip BG-E3 for the Rebel. This would facilitate a better grip as it will add height to the camera.

I've not taken the battery grip off my Dimage A2 since I got the camera, it's so much easier to hold and feels a lot safer too. I'm sure the same could be said for the Rebel with one. It also allows use of two proprietary batteries or six AA's and has a vertical shutter release. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11154
You would, of course, find it cheaper than from Canon directly. Here for example, http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNBGE3
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 1:32 PM   #6

try the panasonic fz20 ( fz 5's bigger brother).. it's just as big as a rebel xt
31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 7:47 AM   #7

In my opinion The Rebel will take at least as goodand probablybetter photos in auto mode as compared to P&S's.If the price is right for you I'd say go for it.

Rotti123 is offline   Reply With Quote