Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2005, 5:59 PM   #1

Hi everyone. I am in the market of buying a new digital camera and need some help/advice. I have had two digital cameras before... a Minolta Dimage X and then the Dimage Xt. I am in the market for a new camera and am not srue what I need/want. I know I want a camera that takes really good quality pictures. I use my digital camera mostly to print 4x6 or 5x7 photos, take pictures of close up objects like records/vinyls, take group photos, pictures of my girlfriend, occassional outdoor photos, etc. Bascially just your average point-and-shoot type of photos... in night clubs, at parties, at restaurants, outdoors, indoors, etc. And I don't really know how to use any of the advanced features on a camera, but I would like to have some of the presets available as well as a good flash and no red eye.

Bestbuy has some good sales going on right now and there are two types of cameras that have caught my eye... the Canon SD400 and the S70. My girlfriend just got the SD200 and she really likes it... it seems to take nice photos, is a great size, etc. She has only had it one week and it's her first camera so I can't really ask her for a great review of the camera yet.

I also saw the S70 online at Bestbuyand read the review here and it looks like a great camera... I'm just wondering if it's overkill? Is it too big, too large file sizes, etc?

I use a Mac and PC. When I get my new camera (whichever it may be) I will buy iLife '05 and use the camera on my Mac. I will store all my photos (I like to take photos every now and then... not 100s or anything) and e-mail them to people, print an occassional here and there, etc. I am worried that 7 MP is overkill as well as the 3MB file size. Is the flash better on the S70? Is the wide-angle lens a bonus or willit make picture viewing/printing odd because of the size?

Any recommendations? Should I be looking at something else? Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated. I also get the feeling that the S70 is old whereas the SD400 is new and has the new processor... does that mean anything?

Thank you in advance,

Keith
keithos27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

No one can help???
keithos27 is offline   Reply With Quote