Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2005, 7:31 PM   #1

I'm looking at either one of these cameras, and feel that for my needs that 5MP is nice but 4MP is definately adequate.

Other than the 1MP difference, is there anything else I should know about the SD400 to justify the ~$50 increase in price?

I'm 100% point and shoot. Just looking for a good all around small camera.

Thanks
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 9:10 AM   #2

I'm no expert, but have also been looking at both these cameras.

As far as features go the sd400 has USB 2.0 and the My Colours function. The MC feature does sound really fun. Also the quoted battery life seems to have improved.

The trouble is, there have been some suggestions that the sd400 is troubled by noise and softness compared to the sd300. I've looked at as many sample pictures as possible and it doesn't appear to be a regular problem to me, but most sample photos are taken outside in perfect conditions. The inside samples on this site do appear to favour the sd300.

That said none of the reviewers, who know far more than me, have picked up on it.

I'm going round in circles looking for a great all round camera I can stick in my pocket every day. These Canons would be perfect but there are suggestions that they always look their best in bright sunlight but when light starts dipping they loose their lustre. There just aren't enough sample photos taken in poor light to tell.
yocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 6:48 PM   #3

I also keep hearing about the lcd on the SD300 cracking frequently. Has this issue been fixed on the SD400?

If not, would it stop you from buying either camera?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4

Anyone else?