Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2005, 9:36 PM   #1

I was about to buy the Sony W5 but I've been reading many negative coments. Any alternatives in the $300-$400 price range?

Thanks.
max034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2

I had the W5 for about 3 days and returned it as indoor pics were almost impossible without lots of blur. I have since gotten the Canon A510 (3MP) it comes in a 4MP, the A520, but as they use the same sensor, you get clearer photos with the A510 and it's only about $175. I guess if you want to do lots of cropping, etc, you'll want more MP's. But the A510 works much better than the Sony for easily taken, clear pics, both indoors and out. It has lots of settings so you can find a good one for any situation. Hope this helps.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks, I think I'll go for the A520. It's better than the A85 right?
Old May 30, 2005, 10:30 AM   #4

The A520 is newer than the A85. As to better, that's always a personal decision. Best to run a search on each and see what you think.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 11:11 AM   #5

The A520 has some glitches.
Jeff at DCRP does redeye tests on all of the cameras he tested and found the A520 to be particularly bad. Probably a result of making the camera smaller.
Jeff also found the low light focus to be poor despite have a focus assist lamp. Steve found the focus assist light good out to only about 3 feet in very low light. Most are good to around 9 feet.
The 640 X 480 movies are at only 10fps, which is really jerky. 30fps is pretty much standard now in new cameras. Even dropping to 320 X 240 gives only 15fps. If you are interested in movies it isn't a good choice.
You also have to plan on buying a charger and NiMH batteries as they aren't included.

Blurring of indoor photos is usually caused by trying to shoot without flash and without enough light. Indoor light that looks OK to your eye is often not sufficient for a camera. Stabilization or a tripod are about the only thing that will really help if you can't use the flash. Some cameras gain up the ISO further than others, which helps with the shutter speed. But you get noisier pictures and you can set that yourself with most cameras. Any f2.8 camera is going to give about the same results at a given ISO.

You might want to look at the Fuji F10. It does much better at higher ISO and goes to ISO1600. Butterfly has it for $313 delivered. Panasonic has some small stabilized cameras, but they have no viewfinder and the LCD doesn't gain up well in low light.

Your best bet might be to find a camera with a strong flash and use it indoors.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6

:? There's always a glitch, I was about to buy it.

What about the Nikon 4800?, it has a 8.3x optical zoom.

Old May 30, 2005, 1:57 PM   #7

Plasticky..and cheap. I also recommend the Fuji F10, despite its use of XD cards, expensive batteries, and brain-dead camera dock for USB and recharging..

However the rumour is that Fuji is planning to use this new technology on some larger cameras. Look for some new introductions..

The Hog
Queeniethehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 11:51 PM   #8

I'm from Argentina and the Fuji F10 isn't here yet. These are my options: 4MP, 5MP

Anyway, I went to the shop to actually feel the cameras, the W5 looked great,felt great and it took good pictures,I liked it. I also tried the Nikon, and its true it feels plasticky.

So my question would be:
Can that blur thing on the W5 be eliminated by just changing the settings, or its gonna be there no matter what?

I've read here that if you set the shutter lag to 1/400, its solved. Is that right?

Thanks again.
Old May 31, 2005, 7:24 PM   #9

For indoor shots, after many hundreds of pictures, here is what I found out :

On average, the W5 uses shutter speed of +/- 1/40th of a second in auto mode combined with an ISO of between 100 & 275.

Some people do say they have blurry pictures. I don't (now at 2000+ pictures!). The only way I can get blurry pictures is by purposefuly shaking the camera. The 1/40 shutter speed may be a tad low for people with VERY shakey hands. In this case I would recommand 1/100 with 200 iso. (my prefered setting)

1/400 may produce darker backgrounds for indoor pictures, although works too, depending on the ambient light.
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote