Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2005, 9:07 PM   #1

My wife just bought a S200 for my daughters graduation. I found out in studying it, that it is no longer made. I really don't know that I want to start out with an obsolete camera. What Canon replaced it? Or is there one better? Is it also more user friendly?
Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2

It's actually from a few generations ago. I've owned one (well, still do as my wife uses it now). It takes decent pictures, but was succeeded by the S230, SD100, SD110, and the current equivalent is probably the SD200 (all of its successors actually have 3.2 MP, compared to the S200's 2.1 MP). Amazon briefly had the SD110 on clearance for $150, but it's back at $200 again. Best Buy had the SD200 for $200 after mail-in-rebate a couple weeks back, not sure if it was a limited time offer or what.

The most annoying thing about it is probably the long shutter lag (and slowness overall), a problem that, according to reviews (I don't own one), has been remedied in the SD200-500 versions.

While it's far from the latest and greatest, it makes more than adequate 4x6 prints. If you got a good deal on it (~$100), I wouldn't sweat it. Just play with it and buy a new one when you're ready to move on.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 8:31 AM   #3

Is the SD200 a current model or has it been replaced as well by a number something like 510 (?). I just hate buying new and finding out it is old and as soon as you learn it or need some acc. for it, it isn't available. THANKS for the reply.
Old May 30, 2005, 3:06 PM   #4

I believe that the SD200 is still the current entry-model Digital Elph, as it was only introduced late last year. The most recent in the SD series is the SD400, but that one's a 5MP model with a much higher price tag. FWIW, the LCD is purported to break rather easily--don't know how true that is, or whether it's mostly hype, but read some customer reviews (epinion.com, amazon.com, circuitcity.com, cnet.com, pricegrabber.com) for that.

The A510 is a completely different series from the Digital Elphs (Canon feature, best as I can remember, Ax (discontinued), Axx (not sure if that one is being discontinued after the A95), Axxx (of which the A510 is a member), Gx, Pro1, Proxx (discontinued), Sx (their ultrazooms), Sxx (smaller siblings of the Gx), Sxxx (Elph/Ixus/Ixy series, now discontinued, newest was S500, of which the S200 is a member), SDxx (Elphs with no optical zoom or optical viewfinder), and SDxxx (replaced the Sxxx) series).

Before you buy the SD200, maybe you want to find out if that's the one you're looking for. If you like the size and everything else about the S200 (except the speed and the fact that it's obsolete), then the SD200 is probably a good bet. However, if you have other issues with the S200, maybe look at a different Canon or brand altogether.

Also, don't sweat obsolescence too much. Thanks to Ebay, you can always find accessories for older electronics items rather easily (unless it was obscure even when it came out).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 4:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the info! It is for my daughter, as a point and shoot camera. I think, what I have read, that it will fill her needs ok. We do not have any digital camera yet in the house, so I can only assume there will be other things to get like a photo type printer or something like that. I am currently using a 18yr. old Canon A-1. I have all the lenses, etc. for it but it certainly appears as if film cameras are one the way out. Thanks again! Dave