Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2005, 5:02 PM   #1

hi folks,
I'm reading this forum already for a long time and I like it. And here is my first own question
Like already mentioned, I am a Powershot A40 user, but time changes and this cam is a bit to big and a bit overweighted. So I am looking for a new cam. I want a fast point and click model which features manual controls like exposure time and aperture, because I like nightshots
I archive most of my picture on hard disk. But I always get some pictures on photo paper from a lab (what do you say to this process? in Germany we call it "ausbelichten"). But these litte 2 megapixel images are too small for my taste...
Perhaps you have some hints for me...
Thanks in advance and greeting from the Dusseldorf area
patrick
patrick3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2005, 8:46 PM   #2

You could check out the A510 (3mp) or A520 (4mp) they have a better zoom (4x) and the A510 should cost you less than $200 U.S.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:09 AM   #3

Somehow, I don't like the design of the A510/A520...
Maybe it does not look so compact...
No other ideas?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:36 AM   #4

You might be asking for a bit too much, as most smaller models do not offer a lot in the way of manual controls.

You could take a look at the Casio Exilim EX-Z750, which is rather smallish.

The Sony DSC-P150 (and P200) also offer full manual mode.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:09 AM   #5

Take a look at the 'Pentax' models
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6

the exilim z750 and the p200 look quite nice thanks for the hints!
so I looked for some reviews in the internet... the one says the p200 makes good pictures and the z750 bad pics... and other sources argue the convers... and i don't know in whom i can trust... :?:
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:11 PM   #7

patrick,

to use a popular saying here:

"who are you going to believe? me or your own lying eyes?"

What I'm saying is, check out the samples for yourself, and make the judgment for yourself which images you like better.

ed brought up Pentax, and the Pentax Optio SV does offer you manual controls, and it's slightly smaller than the A510, even with a 5x optical zoom range.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:14 PM   #8

Patrick3333

I too was a previous owner of an A40. I just picked up an A510 to replace it. Trust me, it's as good as the A40 but smaller and also has 4X optical zoom. The only downfall(s) is that since the A510 only has 2 AA batteries, I find the flash charge takes longer than with the A40 and also the memory format has changed from Compact flash to Secure Digital. I only had a 256 CF card so I didn't really worry about the change in format to SD.

I find the pictures come out great with the A510 and since you are familiar with the A40, all of the same manual controls (and some other options) are available on the A510.

If you do go up to the A510, you'll get more picture options on the dial (there are some presets like - fireworks, beach, indoor, etc) and you also get an increase in resolution with the video mode (up to 640X480 but only for a max of 30 sec)

The zoom control is moved on the A510 to just by the shutter buttom instead of on the back of the unit like the A40. Same with the Dial, it's moved to the top of the unit instead of on the back like the A40.

If you need even more resolution than 3MP then look at the Canon A95. It's an older model, but has the swivel screen and is a 5MP camera with all of the usual manual controls of the Powershot series. You will also be able to retain your CF cards since the A95 still uses CF.

hope that helps!
darkmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:48 PM   #9

thanks for all your hints!
but i think, the p200 will be great for me... the images seem to be sharp and well toned... and it's very small und has manual controls... but you need memory sticks which are about twice more Euros (or Dollars) than SD-Cards....
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:09 PM   #10

Patrick, the Sony would be a good choice, but are you really looking for a tiny camera, or would something a little larger be OK. The Sony like many compact cameras does not have full manual control. Maybe you should look at something like the Fuji F810 or E550, or the Canon S70.

If small is more important then the Sony would be great.
yocky is offline   Reply With Quote