Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2005, 4:26 PM   #1

Hello,

I like to scrapbook and I have a 2 year old that is always on the go that I love taking pictures of. I had an olympus c50, but it was stolen and now I have to replace it. I didn't have a problem with it other than the red eye didn't work well and the delay time was forever with a 2 year old. I just began looking and started with looking at the following

Kodak z740 and dx7590

Canon Digital Rebel/EOS-300D w/ EF-S lens, Powershot s2 IS, S70, and G6

Olympius c5060, c7070, c8080, c60

Fuji s5100, e550, and s7000

Like I said, I just started looking and don't really want to spend more than $400, but I want a good FAST camera that is easy to use. PLEASE PLEASE help.
ejmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 5:24 PM   #2

I have the e550, and it is renouned for it's speed. Startup time is about 1 second, and shutter lag is about .1 seconds prefocused, which beats most other Point and Shoot Cameras on the market. The red eye on it is not as bad as some other Point and shoot cameras, as the flash is a little elevated, but the best way to prevent red eye is with a DSLR. They will also give you the best speed. If they are to big, complex, or expensive for you, a DSLR-like camera may get the flash high enough to reduce red eye, like the s7000. However, red eye is hard to entirely avoid without an external flash. If ease of use is priority, then I'd avoid the DSLRs, as they are not exactly easy to use.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 6:44 PM   #3

ej,

You've listed a lot of different cameras, with a wide range of features and price tags! You want a good, fast camera that is easy to use and costs less than $400...right? I believe you have a few listed that exceed your maximum cost factor. For example, the EOS-300D will run you about $600 for just the body...and, it won't be an "easy" camera to use. It would probably be the fastest and have the least problems with 'red eye', though.

Most of the others you've listed will be faster than your old C50, with the possible exception of the Kodaks, which seem to have rather long cycle times.

Most of the others will also suffer from 'red eye', since the built in flashes are very close to the lens.

I have an S5100...it's not extremely fast, but it should be faster than your old camera...it's not too bad with 'red eye' but it still happens (comes out real easy with Photoshop), and it's well within your price range. It also has a few features that you didn't mention, but I find important - a 10X zoom, an AF assist lamp, and it uses AA batteries.

Probably the best camera I can think of to meet your needs (although I have yet to try one) is the Fuji F10...it's fast, has ISO 1600 for great low light pics, 6 MP, and you should be able to buy it for under $400.

Good luck in your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:08 AM   #4

Thank you so much carskick and hun for your advice. I don't know any of the terms so I love this site and I had no cluewhat you guys told me. All I know is Iwant a good camera to take pictures of my kid, shehas huge baby blue eyes that seem to ALWAYS be red and if I try to correct them with software it always looks funny. Your advice has been so helpful. I am just learning what the shutter speeds,sensor are and all of that.

Thanks a TON,

ej
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:11 AM   #5

So far both have recommended a fuji. I myself have only owned a canon and the olympius. Is it even worth looking at the sony, pentax, etc (all the other brands) or should I stick with the common names?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6

The main reason I suggested the F10 is due to the ISO 1600 capability. That means you should be able to take a lot of low light pics without flash - therefore NO REDEYE!!!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:42 AM   #7

Or the Kodak 7440. It is pretty fast. Most of the ones who put a Kodak down don't use one. They give really good low light capability and very good color. A few pics of my twin 2 1/2 yr old granddaughters.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:44 AM   #8

Another
Attached Images

Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:52 AM   #9

And another..

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:03 PM   #10

I'd concur with the hun here. The most effective ways to remove redeye are to either use an external flash or not use a flash at all.

The F10 allows you to do the latter, thanks to its low-noise ccd. In addition, it is a rather fast performer, from start-up to (lack of) shutter lag. Unless you miss the optical viewfinder (it only has a large LCD screen), this camera should suit you well.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote