Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:41 AM   #1

hi! i'm new here, and to digital cameras. so after a day or two of shopping and reading, i've come down to three camera choices.

canon sd400:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd400.html

casio exilim ex-Z55/ex-Z57
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/ex-z55.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/ex-z57.html

pentax optio S5i:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_.../optios5i.html

i've played with them all in the stores, and they all handle nice and function great. all even to me in that respects. now, before i go on, let me tell you guys one MAIN thing i'm concerned about. the standard 4x6 prints. i've heard differnt things from differnt people, but overall all, they each should be able to make high quality 4x6. but if one is better than the other, i'd like to know

i've been told by a few people that on the canon, there is noticble fringin on the outer edges of the pictures, more so than the other modles. comments?

i will be using this camera from 4x6 prints as well as use on the web/comp. i am pretty much torn at the moment between thses cameras. any comments/insights on the things i've mentioned would help me so much. thanks for your time guys.

edit:

from what i remeber being told, most digital cameras are at the aspect ratio of 4:3. now, if i'm correct, 4x6 prints are at a aspect ratio 3:2. now if i remeber correctly, most photo processing places will either print it as is leaving white borders on either side, or they will crop it for you, at their will. now, with this in consideration, the casio cameras DO have a 3:2 aspect ratio setting, while the canon and pentax don't. from your guy's experince, has this been a problem for you in the past, or do most photo processors do a okay job with the cropping themselves?
astralboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 4:41 PM   #2

Sorry to muddle things up - have you looked at the Casio EX-Z750? I have owned this camera for 3 weeks, its strengths are manual settings, sony 7mp imager, mpeg4 movie mode & speed(boot up & shutter lag) I have supported a photography unit for 5 years, this for me is the first killer camera(as in killer app) it does everything and when you've finished it slips unnoticed into your bag/pocket. No this camera is not perfect, most of the image shortcomings can be removed by changing default settings. The movie mode is fabulous and will give you over 40 mins in HQ(640 * 480) on a 1GB card, yes movie mode is suseptable to wind noise(you can forgive this camera anything). For me to go out and spend money on a camera(when I can take one home) takes a very special camera. You don't have to buy this camera - just consider it on your shortlist.
ufitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:22 PM   #3

i looked at that model briefly, but i really don't want to go over $400. and while 7 megapixels are nice, that number isn't quite necessary for my current situation. as i will be using the camera for point and shoot situations for the next 2 years (until i come home) anything OVER 5 megapixels, at the moment, doesn't do much for me. thanks though anyways for the suggestion!
astralboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:59 PM   #4

I'm just about to buy the Casio Z750 after a lot of research.

I've looked at a shed load of photos from plenty of cameras and as far as image quality goes, of the three cameras you mention the Canon would get my vote by a long shot. However I would buy the SD300 before the SD400. There are downsides to fitting more pixels on the same sensor and in this case the earlier model wins.
yocky is offline   Reply With Quote