Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:20 PM   #1

Hi there, been using steve's for a few years to get the goods on a number of cameras. I'm at the point where stepping up to an SLR and a family friend deals in professional cameras. He currently has a Nikon D-1 for sale for $1300 CDN for it.

What do steve's users think about this price and the camera quality.

Thanks!
J-ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:51 PM   #2

So I take it there is not alot of interest here?
J-ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:30 AM   #3

There might be a lack of response because few people own this camera (it came out when DSLR's were still rather pricey), and you're from Canada where prices might be different.

I don't own one and I'm in the US, but the price sounds like a bit much. They tend to sell for much less on Ebay. Unless your friend is including some good lenses/flash/or other nice accessories with it, I'd definitely pass.

Even with decent accessories, and given the rapid advancement in digital technology, you'd probably be much better served by a D70. I don't know the price in Canada, but it can be had for US$750 from reputable stores here. Obviously, the D1 is a pro camera with a better build, but with almost 5-year-old technology (including a mere 2.7MP), it just doesn't seem worth it at the price.

(If your friend is selling the D1X, rather than the D1 or D1H, the story might be different).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote