Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:43 PM   #21

i hear the sd300 is pretty good!!
solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:39 PM   #22

Thank you so much everybody that replied. Hey pic guy, one more favor. The picture of the landscape seems to me to be muddy. Is that because of the resize? Thanks again, especially for the pictures and the "camera finder" thing.
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:09 PM   #23

If "muddy" means lack of definition then yes it is due to resizing the picture. The original 7mp image is sharp and detailed.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:18 PM   #24

yea muddy means kind of smeared together, not crisp edges, lots of times it happens when things like a bunch of leaves or trees are photographed. Anyways thanks for all your help.I have ruled out the F10, and now only have the T7 and the P200. By the way, the pictures look AMAZING!!! You are an excellent photographer. Actually it is probably all the camera. just kidding. Thanks again
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:45 PM   #25
Administrator

too busy101 wrote:
Quote:
I have ruled out the F10, and now only have the T7 and the P200.
If you like indoor photos, I'd pay very close attention to flash range when considering the T Series Sony models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:43 AM   #26

I was in a very similar position to you, unfortunately I didn't get near the ammount of help.

I looked into the Kodak V550 and thought it looked ideal, but several emails to Kodak reveals that they have no idea when it will be released.

I arrived on three cameras; Canon SD400, Canon SD500, and Casio Z750. As all of these cameras are very small, size didn't become a factor.

I had seen the SD400 and SD500 and played around with them in store. The SD400 was a little more comfortable to hold, and they both had excellent build quality. Both were very fast starting up, navigating menus, etc.

Comparing images between the three cameras, the SD400 seemed to be far below the SD500 and Z750. The images appeared to lack definition - they looked (to me) washed out and details were harder to distinguish (no doubt due to the 5M pixels vs. 7M pixels of the other two).

The Casio seemed to have the most vibrant colors, however when comparing these pictures to the renouned-for-image-quality F10, the F10 colors much more closely matched those of the SD400 and SD500. I concluded that perhaps the Casio wasn't as accurate at reproducing colors. I considered that as the Casio is more adjustable, it would be possible to fix this, but the fact that the Canons , from the little information I could dig up, reproduced colors correctly as default certainly affected my decision.

The Casio images also weren't as sharp overall as the SD500. Backgrounds were fuzzier, and sometimes the object in focus was also. The SD500 seemed to be the winner as far as image quality was concerned.

Other features I considered included the fact that the Casio has many more adjustable options than the Canons. I decided this needn't be a deciding factor as I have an Olympus C-5050Z available to use whenever I would desire such options, which wouldn't be when I was wanting an easily portable camera.

The Casio also has a superior movie mode, using MPEG 4 compression to allow for 5-6 times the ammount of video to be stored on the same size card at the same 640x480 quality as the Canons. This did factor in to my decision, but in the end I decided that image quality was more important to me than being able to record a ton of video. I ordered a 1GB SD card also, and I don't think I will ever want to record more than a few minutes of video.

In the end, the Canon SD500 won out. Having handled it in store and knowing that I liked it's form and appearance was helpful. I also liked the fact that its screen is more visable in a variety of lighting. The fact that its flash is significantly better than the Casio made me more confident in the camera.

Hopefully this can help you some.

Josh
Josh784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:06 PM   #27

too busy101 wrote:
Quote:
yea muddy means kind of smeared together, not crisp edges, lots of times it happens when things like a bunch of leaves or trees are photographed. Anyways thanks for all your help. I have ruled out the F10, and now only have the T7 and the P200. By the way, the pictures look AMAZING!!! You are an excellent photographer. Actually it is probably all the camera. just kidding. Thanks again
Thanks for the compliment. I give the P200 much of the credit. I have a Digital Rebel SLR (300D) and find myself taking the P200 more than it because it fits in a pocket so easily. I've been able to capture some very good moments do to the P200's convenience, speed and quality. Plus, it gives just enough manual control to be useful in getting a difficult photo or to be creative in how the picture is taken. There's many other good pocket cameras on the market but for right now I think the P200 is the best price verses performance ultracompact you can buy. It has performed much better than I expected.

I'll include one last picture that shows the value of having a convenient camera the powers on quickly. The cat in the picture is named Max and it is because he is a huge cat. Somehow he managed to squeeze his behind into a Diet Pepsi box and fortunately I managed to take this shot:
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:08 PM   #28

That is definately a picture worth keeping. No doubt it was made possible by the speed of sony, there was no way to know how long he would stay there
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:20 PM   #29

Can't resist posting one more:

Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:38 PM   #30

So I just went to a lot of electronic chains(best buy, circuit city, comp usa) and got to test out a bunch of cameras. I tried the T7, and I actually didn't like it. Maybe because it was attached to the stand(although the sliding door is pretty sweet). Well, thethree that I liked the most were the SD 400 and P200, and F10. I was kind of wanting to try the new Kodak ones, they look great too, but they weren't there yet. Anyways about the F10, I wasn't able to disconnect it from the chord thing, so does anyone who owns one know if it fits into a pocket pretty easily? I really need it to fit into a pocket, I know the P200 and SD400 do. Thanks