Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2005, 8:26 PM   #1

I am really interested in having a go anywhere digital camera. It needs to be as fast as possible, and be able to fit in my pocket. I will probably be doing about 25% indoor photos. Mostly I will take pictures of people, wildlife, indoor shots,sunsets, vacationsand some sports photography. I know ultracompact digital camera are not best for wildlife and indoors, but that is a tradeoff i am willing to make as long as I can always have it with me. Image quality is important, but I am by no means picky, as long as the shots are clear and not completly awful,they willbe fine. The most important quality for me is to be able fit it easily in a pocket. Thatalso meansthat thecamera that won't break easily. I also want a well rounded shooter capable of producing good images ina variety of different places. A movie mode is nice but I don't need a VGA,it would just be for brief movies.I am willing to spend up to about 500 dollars on a camera. I have been debating between the Cybershot P200(though it is a little big), the DSC T7, and the finepix Z1., and maybe the F10(also a little big). Thanks for any help
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:18 AM   #2

I only have about a month to make a decision. Please help me!
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:09 PM   #3

I personally own a Casio ex-z750. It's compact, takes good pics and good video. What more can you ask for! Could consider Canon sd500Just as good.
kensr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:07 PM   #4

IMO, because an ultra-compact is so limited in capability, it really doesn't matter which one you get, as long as you stick with the major manufacturers. One thing you might pay close attention to is the flash range, which is dismal overall, but some are slightly better than others. Besides the models you mention, you might also consider the Nikon S1, and the ever popular Canon SD200/300/400.

Stepping up in size to the compact Fuji F-10 will give you a lot more flexibility in low light conditions/flash range....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:48 AM   #5

I have actually narrowed down my choices to the F10 and the DSC T7 and DSC P200, and just now, I saw a new Kodak V550(Anyone know anything about it?). I keep hearing about the F10 raising ISO rather quickly and in unnecessary situations, but if it is so good at keeping down noise, why would that bother people. Also would the F10 be too big to fit into a jeans pocket? What about the P 200? Any you prefer over the others and recommendations would be great. Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2005, 3:26 PM   #6

Sooo... Nobody knows about the V550? Well then of the T7, P200, and F10, which one is best for being in a pocket and taking good pics?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:02 PM   #7

You might want to check out what www.consumersearch.com has to say. Sounds like the Canon A520 would be hard to beat given what you are looking for.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:08 PM   #8

I understand that but I NEED the camera to be able to fit easily into a pocket. From the looks and size of the a510/520, I really don't think it will fit. So any help on the camera I have listed?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:11 PM   #9

too busy101 wrote:
Quote:
I understand that but I NEED the camera to be able to fit easily into a pocket. From the looks and size of the a510/520, I really don't think it will fit. So any help on the camera I have listed?
I bought a P200 in February as a supplemental camera to the 300D. My most important feature was it had to be easy to carry. I find the P200's shape to be great for carrying in a pant pocket without a case. Also, having a very well protected LCD screen for a camera carried this way is essential IMO. I can carry the P200 and my cell phone in the same pocket and not worry about breaking the LCD.

Additionally, I've been very pleased with the picture quality from the camera. The only flaw it has that is worth mentioning is the default 1/40th second shutter speed on some flash shots. I have found that using the viewfinder for flash pictures prevents most blurry picture problems. Plus, with the P200's manual control I can set the shutter speed up to 1/250 second for flash shots to prevent any blur.

At this point in time, I can't think of another point and shoot camera that has the same price/performance ratio of the P200.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:27 AM   #10

A few months back I was shopping for an ultra-compact, but after looking at a lot of models (Sony T series, Cannon series, Panasonic lumix) I found them to be just too limiting.

We are talking ULTRA-compact, not compact (NOT Sony P or W series, Canan A95, Fuji F10...etc)

The flash ranges are rather poor with lens & CCD senor sizes which are very small. This produces, what I would consider, a sub-par picture under anything but a bright afternoon sun.

I would suggest you look at sample pictures, or take some yourself before commiting (if take a lot of them outdoors you could be fine), I know a few poeple who were very dissapointed.
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote