Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:44 PM   #1

I'vebeen trying to decide between Konica Minolta A200, Cannon Powershot Pro1 and Nikon Coolpix 8800. I like the manual zoom of the A200 and the Cannon. I also like the focus ring of the A200. The 8800 seems to have the best overall quality pics, however, this seems only noticeable under really serious scrutiny. I don't plan on blowing anything up to poster size (though it would be nice to have the option). Ihadpretty much decided on the A200 because it's about $200 less than the others.

Today at a local camera shop, I found a Cannon Digital Rebel (the original, not the new XT model) at a very reasonable price, though it is used. For the body and the lens (18-55mm) would run $550, tax included. Itwould also come with a 30-day moneybackguaranteefor operability. I've found plenty of sites with the A200 for$530, including shipping and a small memory card (sold separately for theRebel).

Just wondering ifI could get a little input from you guyson which may be the better purchase.Keep in mind that I am fairly new tophotography and thatI don't plan on it ever being more than justa hobby (if I even take it that far).

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.
lifeisgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:00 PM   #2

Just my opinion FWIW.
Why not start out with a more user friendly camera rather than those designed for the enthusiast? A novice being
unfamiliar with the basics has a high risk in thwarting the
real reason to pursue photography as a hobby. That reason is
simply to have "Fun" and enjoying/sharing memories of families and friends. My suggestion is to start with the fun
capabilities instead of the fine tuning and tweaking that enthusiast models present.
Consider what you will taking pics of the most, indoor/outdoor, action, still life, nature, portraits, etc.
How much weight do you want to carry, the smaller cameras
get taken out much more than their larger bulkier cousins with xtra lenses.
In your price range you would have multitude of great choices at $500. and lower. Saving dollars for add on's such as larger memory cards, cases, filters, chargers, etc.
Knowing what your primary photographic desires are allows you to choose with information wisely.
I personally chose an ultra zoom for the additional fun of
taking longer shots. For my novice wife I assisted her in getting an entry level camera thats great on auto yet has manual features for her to grow with.
Please inform us of your particular needs, likes and prerernces and then the forum debate can begin on which model of which manufacturer can begin.
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:42 PM   #3

IMHO, I would opt for the Canon 300. The camera works great as a point and shoot in the automode. With a 30 day warranty, shoot alot of pics to test the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:59 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i would say if you don't plan on doing much post-processing or learning about DOF or anything of the such.. you will be better off with the digicams vs the dslrs.

the a200 is a great camera for the money and will serve you well.. for the savings i think it would be your best bet here..

but if you plan on learning something about photography, you will learn to appreciate the flexibility of the dslr such as the digi rebel.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far! I've had all day at work to think about it, and I'm sort of leaning toward the Cannon right now. The only real reason I'm not sure I want the Cannon is that I don't know just how great the Rebel is. I know it was one of the first under $1000 dSLR's out there, and I'm wondering if it's really a bit of a terd compared to the newer models (such as the Rebel XT or a Nikon). As for my understanding of things,I defiinitely don't know everything, but I'm working on it. When I had my DiMAGE Z2 last year I spent some time with a friend who had studied photography for a while. He was explaining to me how/why to adjust aperture, shutter speed and things of that nature. I don't think ISO was a manual function on that camera so I currently know nothing about that (not that it matters, considering my Z2 was stolen while in Milan - Bastards!). Basically, I know a lot more than the average person walking around with his disposable camera, but I'm no expert. However, I do plan on learning as much as possible so that I can take the best pictures my camera and natural abilities will allow. Oh, and I'm a very quick learner, so I'm at all worried about that.

Maybe the question I should be asking is this: Six months from now, with which camera will I be the most happy, both in terms of quality of pictures as well as limitations (or lack thereof) of the camera? Keep in mind that both cameras are almost exactly the same price, and six months from now I will have certainly figured out all of the cameras' functions.

Again, thanks in advance everyone!!
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:05 AM   #6

Yeah, I know, I could've just said this as an edit inthe last post, but I felt it was worth mentioning separately. I was just looking at some sample pictures from the Rebel, and they look amazing. They look a thousand times better than that of the A200. I'm going to do some more research on this camera to see for sure if that's the one I want. Please feel free to throw more opinions my way, though. I'd stilllike to hear what everyone else has to say!

You know, I just thought of this and figured I may want to clarify one thing. I said I could get the Cannon for $530ish with the lens. To be more specific,the camera itself would cost $385. I'm sure some of the 30 used lenses the store has may be more or less than the $115 they're asking for the one attached to it. Does that make any difference to anyone?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:08 AM   #7
Super Moderator

first off.. the digital rebel is no terd.. it is a very capable camera that will more than suit your needs.. so no worries there..

if you plan on doing your homework and enjoy the learning process of photography, in 6 months to a year, i would speculate that you will have been glad you purchased a dslr .. besides learning the camera, be sure to learn some post-processing.. i believe the digital rebel comes with photoshop elements 2.0 (??).. so pick up a book on that program and be sure to read the chapters on unsharp mask and levels adjustments first.. and then read the rest knowing some basic post-processing is really necessary to bring out the full potential of the dslr as the images straight out of the camera will be softer and less contrasty than a digicam.. don't worry, this is normal and is on purpose as it allows you better control of your images in post-processing..

if there is anything else you need, be sure to ask, and we'll do our best to help out..

best regards, dustin
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:27 AM   #8

If you go for the rebel you might want to check out some lense with longer soom range.
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:15 PM   #9
stk

Hi,

I own an A200 and I think it depends on what you want from the camera.

The A200 is not too big (not pocket size but not big), takesphotos easily good enough for 10x8 and crops has 28-200 and macro in the package and takes pretty good 15 minute videos.
This is all in the same manageable pack. For me it was a family camera meeting all these needs for myself, wife and daughter. Video has been used a lot.

But if you want good very low noise photos, high ISO orfast operation, don't want videoand can afford the lenses, then there is no contest -the rebelis superior. To me it came down to what size the family could reasonably tolerate, video capability and dragging the lenses round.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:38 PM   #10
Super Moderator

if you do get the rebel.. the kit lens is a good start.. its build quality is less than professional... but because of the smaller nature of the sensor of a digital slr compared to a film slr the camera uses the best part of the lens only.. therefore these digital specific lenses such as the 18-55 kit lens are capable of producing images whos sharpness rivals the "professional" lenses on a film or film sized sensored camera.. you will hear alot of ppl complain about the softness of the kit lens, but that is simply not true.. most of the softness they are referring to is either the softness of the camera as i mentioned earlier (and their lack of knowledge of post-processing) or incorrect focusing..

at some point in time you will need a telephoto perhaps.. i would wait on this for a little while.. when you get into telephotos, quality can vary immensly between the consumer line and the more professional lines of lenses.. so by saving up some money and buying a better telephoto lens you will save yourself some heartache that is associated with trying to save some $$ and buying a cheap tele.. plus the kit lens covers a very useful focal length for walking around, portraits, scenics, pics of family, etc..

best regards, dustin