Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1

I'm just getting started and I want a good SLR and ideas....pretty easy, huh?
sfusco91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:01 AM   #2
Super Moderator

well, i shoot canon's... so of course my recomendation is the rebel xt/350d.. not only because i am partial to canon but also because imho it is about a half to full generation above the current crop of consumer dslrs.. but by all means get down to your local camera store and try them all out and see what one fits best for you..

to start with i would get the kit lens.. it is small and lightweight, but is reasonably sharp for the price.. (only 100USD more for the kit).. use this lens for a few months and then evaluate your needs for your next lens.. that could help you from regretting an impulse buy that doesn't fit the type of pics you take..

you will also need a cf card.. i would recommend a 1gb lexar professional, sandisk ultra II or extreme III at the very least.. a 2gb is nice and 2 1gbs is even better..

spare battery is nice, but not necessary unless you are planning to be away from a plugin for extended periods of time or plan to shoot more than 400 pics during a single session..

some ppl use a skylight1a or a haze filter over their lens at all times for protection, others don't use em at all.. your call

get a nice camera bag.. make sure its big enough to grow into..

make sure you pick up a book on post-processing.. you will need to know a little bit about using unsharp mask and doing some level adjustments to make the most out of the pictures that come out of a dslr.. just a warning- they will be softer and less contrasty than a digicam.. that is on purpose and allows you to take control of your image better later on.. i am notsure what program comes with the rebel xt, i hope its still photoshop elements..

also a book on general photography principles is nice too.. you will need to know the basics of DOF and such..

i think that should be a good start...

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:20 AM   #3

Do u no the titles of any good books? Also on the camera you mentioned i was more looking towards just plain SLR
Old Jun 3, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Administrator

sfusco91 wrote:
Quote:
Also on the camera you mentioned i was more looking towards just plain SLR
The EOS-350XT/Digital Rebel XTis Canon's newest entry level DSLR. They do have an older model (Canon EOS-300D/Digital Rebel) that you may be able to find for a little less money. But, it is missing some features some users like.

See the "Amateur Digital SLR ($1,000.00 or less)" category in the Best Cameras List for current entry level DSLR models from Canon, Pentax, Olympus and Nikon.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Administrator

P.S. - the responses assume you really mean a Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera design.

If you don't want/need the flexibility of a Digital SLR, there are many more cameras to choose from at a lower price point.

Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6

Yeah, I don't want to get into digital SLR yet, I just want good ole fashioned SLR, no digital.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Administrator

sfusco91 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I don't want to get into digital SLR yet, I just want good ole fashioned SLR, no digital.
Aaaah....

That's different. Well, do you own any lenses yet? If it were me, I'd check on the used market. You can find a lot of good deals on 35mm SLR gear now that Digital is so popular (often finding a much nicer camera in used condition, compared to what you'd get for the same money purchasing a new one).

For example, you may be able to find a semi-pro body like a Nikon N90s in used condition, for not a lot more money compared to an entry level model in new condition.

One good source of used gear is http://www.keh.com

Another is http://www.adorama.com

and another is http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Of course, there's Ebay, local camera shops, Pawn shops, etc.

This site is geared towards Digital Cameras versus film cameras. So, you may not find a lot of help here.

If you plan on shooting much, I would consider going Digital instead. There are a number of advantages to Digital. You can see immediately if you got the shot or not. You don't have any processing/developing cost, and you don't have to print anything to see the images on screen and share them with others via photo sharing sites,e-mail, etc.But, you still have the flexibility of printingthe images you want/need prints from.

Picking a camera can be tricky. You really need to figure out what you're going to use one for more often to select the appropriate body, lenses, flash, etc.

There are MANY, MANY choices in cameras and lenses.

Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:35 AM   #8

See the thing is I plan on buying a digital when I get more serious in photography. But my school photography class does not allow digital just normal SLR.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:54 AM   #9
Administrator

sfusco91 wrote:
Quote:
See the thing is I plan on buying a digital when I get more serious in photography. But my school photography class does not allow digital just normal SLR.
I see.

Well, I'd probably decide on a manufacturer first. You'll want to make sure you buy lenses that will compatible with a DSLR model later for when you upgrade to Digital.

That way, you don't need to start all over again, and you'd have a backup film camera that you could share lenses with.

But, keep in mind that the sensors in entry level DSLR models are smaller than 35mm film. As a result, the angle of view is narrower for any given focal length.

We often refer to this as a "crop factor" or a focal length multiplier.

For example, entry level DSLR models from Pentax, Nikon and Konica-Minolta all have a 1.5x crop factor. So, a 50mm lens on these models would have a 35mm equivalent focal length/angle of view of 75mm (50 x 1.5 = 75). Or, a 28-80mm zoom lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 42-120mm.

The entry level Canon models use a 1.6x Crop Factor. So, a 50mm lens on a Canon EOS-350XT/Digital Rebel XT would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 80mm (50 x 1.6 = 80).

This is good if you need longer focal ranges. But, it can be limiting if you need a wider angle of view (since you'd need a much wider lens on a DSLR compared to a 35mm model for the same angle of view).

That's why you see so many of the "kit lenses" start out at around 17-18mm now with the entry level DSLR models.

So, I'd make sure to consider the crop factors when buying 35mm gear, so that you've got lenses that are more usable for when you upgrade to a DSLR.

Again, I'd check the used market, since you can often find very good deals on very good cameras now. See the links I posted above. These vendors all have a used gear section.

I'd decide on a budget for the body and lenses first. Then, take a look around at what is available -- keeping lens compability issues in mind for when you go digital later.

You can find really nice Nikon N90s bodies for under $300.00 now. The N8008s is also a nice camera that you can find in used condition at even lower bargain prices. These models are very well made.

I'm not as familiar with Canon, Pentax, Minolta35mm gear, so perhaps others can offer suggestions on decent used cameras from other manufacturers.

What's your budget (body and lenses) fora camera? Any special requirements for camera features? Will you need a flash (some of the semi-pro bodies don't have a built in flash, so you'd need to buy one separately if going with some of the nicer bodies with weather sealing, fast AF speed, etc. Do you have a brand preference?

If you want something cheap for just the class, you can probably find aused 35mm SLR with a 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens for around a hundred bucks now if you shop around. I'd give more info on budget, etc..