Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

I am looking for the best ultraportable camera. I read steves top 5 or w/e but it doesnt give a definative #1 I wanna know what is the best one on the market as far as picture quality and video. At this time I am leaning toward the canon sd300.
aarong20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:12 PM   #2

Many people would agree with you about the SD300 (present company excluded-I say Sony DSC-P150). Here is an interesting link about that same question---

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000250037569/
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:42 PM   #3

Well, quality and best are subjective terms, esspecially when it comes to sensual readings. It is like saying I want the best food. People have different tastes.

That being said, there are some cameras that most would agree are just better quality in all areas of the picture they take. www.digitalcamerainfo.com is a good site to get computer read outs of a camera's picture production, including color acuracy, noise, and real resolution. Check it out. The number of rated cameras is not as vast as Steve's, but they provide another point of view, a very technical one. I found it's best to look at as many reviews as possible for any one camera, so you can get as many perspectives as possible.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:13 PM   #4

I am just trying to decide where best to spend my money. I was in radioshack earlier, and man that elixim looked nice. But I cant get over the quality of video that sd300 takes - it is unbelieveable. I got a few weeks before I decide, I guess i'll just have to continue to research its just really hard. I wish steve had a definitive list. Like #1 through 5, and then I would feel much more comfortable. He really knows what he is doing, and I just wish I could test them all like he did
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:11 AM   #5

I think there is a reason he didn't number them 1-5. He is saying that these are the best cameras in the class, but their features and strong points vary, so it is up to the buyer to decide which is right to them. Everyone has different needs, so there is no, and never will be any camera to end all cameras.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:58 PM   #6

Thats what I thought

*bangs head off wall*

In that case, I guess i'll narrow it down to the casio z series, and the canonsd series. Anyone have any thoughts on these two particular brands/models?