Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:59 PM   #1

Hi Could anybody offer some opinions or experience with these cameras. I''m having a really hard time deciding. My pictures are of of two little kids so mostly indoor pictures and the older one is in gymnastics so some will be in a gym. Thanks for your opinions.

emma
emmask_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:21 PM   #2

All three are capable of taking good indoor shots of kids. However, none of them will be any good at taking indoor action shots inside a gym. For that, you will need a dslr, which will give you the ISO needed for higher shutter speeds in a low-light environment such as the inside of a gym, and can also give you the zoom you need in order to get in close.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:56 AM   #3

Look at the Fuji F10...ISO 1600, so it will be great for indoor shots without flash. It only has a 3x zoom, however so it can't compete with the megazooms in that category. It also lacks some of the manual controls the other comeras have. You don't state your photographic experience level, so maybe it doesn't matter to you.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:16 AM   #4

Hi

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a Panasonic fz20 , which I bought primarily as a family camera and also my first digital camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I get great outdoor shots with plenty of light , of my two boys , indoors is ok but I think my next investment will be for aseperate flash unitto improve these shots.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"In saying that I love the camera, and I was swayed by the 12xoptical zoom which has really paid off with kids playing sport etc, so it definatly fulfills all your requirements , but obviously try some different makes before parting with the dosh!

Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:47 AM   #5

Bassman,

If you need a flash for indoor pics, then the FZ20 doesn't exactly fill all of the requirements of the original poster...mostly indoor shots...some in a gym.

Compare low light shots (without flash) for the F10 and the FZ20 - no comparison. A flash is just about useless at long distances in a gym - and it could be prohibited at a gymnastic event (or at least should).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 11:48 AM   #6

my camera experience is limited. I don't have a clue about manual controls but I'd like to learn. but in the same token I have to small kids so I need a camera that works good to just grab it and shoot. but when I have the time to play I'd like that
emmask_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 3:59 PM   #7

I suggest you check out www.consumersearch.com. It is a review of reviews sites with some useful information and recommendations on digital cameras. They make it sound like it would be hard to go wrong with the Z5. Given that they base their ratings on multiple reviews, I tend to give them a bit more credibility than some of the individual review sites.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote