Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:28 PM   #1

I'm starting college in August and would like to get a nice sub $400 small camera to use (no cell phone camera yet ). The vast majority of pictures would probably end up in my Flickr account or someplace similar, so I don't need something that will take great 8x10 shots to print out. I've read a bunch reviews on both these cameras and overall I'm pretty impressed by their size, appearance, and features. However, I have one major concern over each of these cameras:

Canon: "E18 Error" -- Not sure how common this is, but the fact that Canon apparently doesn't cover it under warranty makes me want to buy it someplace local and get an extended warranty from them. This would obviously cost more than online, but I'd rather the exchange process be as simple as possible if this issue comes up.

Nikon: Mixed reviews -- I've read reviews (both professional and from consumers) that essentially go to both extremes on their opinions. Quite a few people have complained about the lag time between taking pictures, others slam the photo quality as being absolutely horrible, and some people absolutely adobe the camera. I know that not everyone is going to agree, but I've seen about an equal amount of good and bad reviews which makes me more than a little concerned.

So, does anyone that has used either one or both of these camera have any input/suggestions? I'd even be open to other models as long as they are less than $400 and fit easily into a pocket. Thanks.
SSTwinrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:53 PM   #2

You might see if a Sony T7 is in your price range. Also, the new Fuji Z1 and the Panasonic FX7 would also be worth looking into...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 1:59 PM   #3

Love the look of the Sony T7, but $500!!! :shock:

Took a look at the Fuji and Panasonic also, but they're still just a little bit more than I'm wanting to spend. And while I don't really mind playing the memory format game, at least any Memory Stick Duos could be used in my PSP also, but investing into xD cards doesn't seem too smart since (I think) only Fuji and Olympus use them.

Overall I think I'm leaving more towards the SD300 (or possibly even going down to a SD200) and just getting a replacement plan in case anything like an E18 does come up. By the time that warranty would have run out, I should be ready for something new again
SSTwinrova is offline   Reply With Quote