Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:22 AM   #1

HI,

HI,

I have a D100 that I am delighted with and I am in the process of getting a second camera body. Which one do I get? It looks like the D70a dn d70s have faster frame rates however the d100 allows larger file sizes. Until recently I have been shooting wildlife "large fine" but it is clear to me that I need to start shooting RAW to get the images I really want. I am concerned that the d70 will limit me.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ann

ann s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 2:02 PM   #2
Administrator

ann s wrote:
Quote:
It looks like the D70a dn d70s have faster frame rates however the d100 allows larger file sizes. Until recently I have been shooting wildlife "large fine" but it is clear to me that I need to start shooting RAW to get the images I really want. I am concerned that the d70 will limit me.
Don't worry about the differences in file sizes. The RAW files from the newer models will contain just as much data. You've just got some differences in the way the data is being stored. With your D100, Nikon allowed you to use either uncompressed or compressed .nef files (with two different file sizes).

With the newer models, it's always compressing the data for the .nef files (the processingis faster now, and it doesn't slow down a camera as much like using compressed .nef files onthe D100 did).This is not the same thing as JPEG (where you get quality losses as more compression is used). The compression is lossless for .nef files.

You can also choose to shoot with RAW + JPEG if desired in the newer models.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:34 AM   #3

Jim! You are so helpful! I was concerned about data loss withthe nef files- thanks for reassuring me!

Ann
ann s is offline   Reply With Quote