Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy a 4MP digital camera. Having looked at various makes i'm now getting confused at the choice:shock:. I've looked at Hewlett Packard, Nikon, Fuji and Olympus. Can anyone suggest a good "family use" camera that will produce a good 6X4 print? A "true" 4MP would be preferred, and optical zoom is a must.

Thanks in advance.

stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:41 PM   #2
PvB

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ4 has 4.0 effective megapixels and has a 12x stabilised optical zoom. Here's the link to Steve's review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz4.html
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:41 PM   #3

Best "Bang for the Buck" long zoom, is the Fugi S5100
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:51 PM   #4

stormtrooper wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a 4MP digital camera. Having looked at various makes i'm now getting confused at the choice:shock:. I've looked at Hewlett Packard, Nikon, Fuji and Olympus. Can anyone suggest a good "family use" camera that will produce a good 6X4 print? A "true" 4MP would be preferred, and optical zoom is a must.

Thanks in advance.
At this point, there must be a hundred 4mp cameras that will be of good "family use", so the most we can do is to tell you of our particular favorites. If you want to narrow down the list a bit, you should mention just how much zoom you actually want (I think *every* 4mp camera out there has optical zoom), what size camera you want, what you want to spend, and if you need any specific features such as image stabilization, rotating lcd, etc.....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. My current camera is a Nikon coolpix 2200. This is a 2MP camera. It's a good camera, but now a little low on MP. I'd like to be looking at a smaller, compact style of camera with a minimum of 3X optical zoom. Currently im toying with...Fuji, Hewlett PackardR707 and another Nikon. Price bracket is approx £100- £150 UK. I like an easy to use camera and somethig that produces a good end image.

Hope this helps further.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 5:38 PM   #6

The Canon S410 (called Ixus 430 in the UK) has been superceeded by the new slimmer Ixus 40. This was an excellent camera with arguably better picture quality than its successor. It has a smaller LCD than the new camera and probably worse battery life but it's still a work of art.

The canon reseller on ebay sells refurbished ones with a warranty for just over £100 (you'll have to wait for one to come on sale then bid)

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1...ssZcanonQ5fuk1

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s410.html
yocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:22 AM   #7

Hi All and thanks for the replies. After much to-ing and fro-ing ive finally purchased the HP Photosmart R507. It's a 4MP camera, quite new to the market with good techie features:-). I'm looking forward to taking some shots and will post some when i've found my way around it fully. Again thanks for the replies.