Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:48 AM   #11

Jordipordie wrote:
Quote:
I think I am taking your advise and just go to a shop that has the camera's in store.

I got a extra practional question. Doest the 350D get dirty easely? Do I have to take with me a maintenance set? I make a far vacation every year and take tons of pictures. I am afraid when I go into a rainforrest or a nice beach... a DSLR will be to "sensitive".
I do not think that a DSLR is any more senstive than a non-DSLR. You do need take precautions when changing lens in an open enviroment.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:10 AM   #12

Is the place that connects the lens with the body well sealed of?
Jordipordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:23 PM   #13

It is not a watertight seal but the seal is tight.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:56 PM   #14

okiedokie.

Think I will go for the 350D. I am a real noob when it comes to lenses. The standard lens kit... to what kind of compact zoom can I compare it?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:10 AM   #15

Bought the 350D black together with a Sigma 55-200 (F4-5.6) and a Sigma 18-50 (F5.3-5.6).

Already had to return a body cause of a bad quality body?! Looks like the plastic isn't as sturdy as I hoped so I have to be really carefull with the cam.

I think I also need a compact cam to have besides this one. Even though this cam is lighter then most DSLR cams... it is still quit something to carry around

Lets rock and see if the cam is worth the money :G

Thanks for all the replies!

Jordi
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:37 PM   #16

Good luck and have fun shooting. Post some photos when you can.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:54 AM   #17

Update about the cam

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed. I expected more. Some how more pics fail then I had with my S45. I am not very impressed by the "auto" function. Lots of blurry picz Somehow I get the feeling the cam focusses everything except for what I want...

Some example picz:

Picz of my kittens

Picz taken in Greece

Misc picz

Some sample picz

Can someone give me some tips to get good picz of my cats? The cam doesn't focs on them cause of the color so that has to be don in Manuale mode. Whats the best setting to make pics? Cause of their color the flash messes up many picz.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:56 PM   #18

One possible trick that might help you focus on quick moving subjects (like cats) is to prefocus on a position and hold that focus position using focus lock. You can do this on many cameras by focusing on a spot where you anticipate the cat will pass, then focusing on that spot and holding the focus by keeping the shutter button halfway depressed. Scare the cat (or whatever you do to get it moving.) Once the cat reaches that spot, press the shutter the rest of the way down.I don't think your cat's color has anything to do with your camera's autofocusing ability. All most AF sensors do is look for areas of contrast.

If you were using a digital SLR, you might be able to use a feature called "focus tracking." This is a feature of many Nikon products that allows the user to follow a moving subject and keep sharp focus locked whether the subject goes toward or away from the camera position.

If you are a really skilled photog, you simply pan the camera and follow the action. This takes a lot of practice though and you will likely end up taking many blurryshots just to end up with acouple of good ones. But since you are using a digital camera anyways, you might want to give it a try. Just delete the bad shots. With film, it's a lot more expensive.

amateurdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote