Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:47 PM   #1

I'm looking for the most user friendly camera/camera interface, for my mom.

The EasyShare software seemed perfect (once you could get the SOB set up!!!). But, I called Kodak and they did not support their product if it was being used on a computer that had a scanner plugged in!!!!! WTF!!?

So, What camera manufacturer/model should my mom look at? She's probably only looking for a small point & shoot camera, 4MegPix min, 3x optical zoom min. And obviously one that takes really good pictures.

She had the Kodak DX7630 and the commercial looked perfect on it, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks guys!
all_bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:03 PM   #2
Administrator

all_bran wrote:
Quote:

The EasyShare software seemed perfect (once you could get the SOB set up!!!). But, I called Kodak and they did not support their product if it was being used on a computer that had a scanner plugged in!!!!! WTF!!?
If Kodak has a problem on your PC, chances are, other brands will, too. Often, other devices plugged into USB ports can impact the operating system's ability to see devices properly.

Did it work without the scanner? If so, did you try to isolate it by using a different USB Port? Some models have more than one USB controller channel, with ports and the back and front of a PC. In any event, USB Controller Cards are very inexpensive now.

Also, you don't have to use the software that comes with the camera inmost cases.

Many users never connect their cameras directly at all. They use a USB 2.0 Card Reader instead (about $20.00 at most local office supply/electronics type dealers).

I've owned cameras where I've never even bothered to load the manufacturer's software. In fact, I carry a little Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) with me in a pants pocket everywhere I go (and have since July 2003). I don't even have the manufacturer's software for this camera (and I don't want/need it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:09 PM   #3

Hp makes one . It has the photo printer dock like the Kodak. My granddaughter got one and really likes it. It's the M307 model. Usually find it at Wal-mart for less than $200.00. Don't understand the problem with the scanner. I've got one and had "ZERO" problems with it or the Kodak software, other than the fact that it is a memory hog and slowed down the start up!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:51 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
all_bran wrote:
Quote:

If Kodak has a problem on your PC, chances are, other brands will, too. Often, other devices plugged into USB ports can impact the operating system's ability to see devices properly.

Did it work without the scanner? If so, did you try to isolate it by using a different USB Port? Some models have more than one USB controller channel, with ports and the back and front of a PC. In any event, USB Controller Cards are very inexpensive now.

Also, you don't have to use the software that comes with the camera in most cases.

Many users never connect their cameras directly at all. They use a USB 2.0 Card Reader instead (about $20.00 at most local office supply/electronics type dealers).

I've owned cameras where I've never even bothered to load the manufacturer's software. In fact, I carry a little Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) with me in a pants pocket everywhere I go (and have since July 2003). I don't even have the manufacturer's software for this camera (and I don't want/need it).

The camera was plugged into the motherboard USB ports, and the printer was plugged into a separate PCI USB2.0 port. And yes, it worked 'better' when the printer/scanner was unplugged.

Ok, now how does the printer dock station work? We have an HP Printer/Scanner. I would assume that an HP camera/Printer docking station would work?? How does a "printer" docking station compare to a "computer" docking station?

I want my mom to have the software because it makes things easier for her to understand (not exacly computer savvy). I guess if all else fails, I can just put a card reader on it and show her how to do it that way... But then I would need a good picture editing program... any ideas?
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:59 PM   #5
Administrator

all_bran wrote:
Quote:
The camera was plugged into the motherboard USB ports, and the printer was plugged into a separate PCI USB2.0 port. And yes, it worked 'better' when the printer/scanner was unplugged.

Ok, now how does the printer dock station work? We have an HP Printer/Scanner. I would assume that an HP camera/Printer docking station would work?? How does a "printer" docking station compare to a "computer" docking station?

I want my mom to have the software because it makes things easier for her to understand (not exacly computer savvy). I guess if all else fails, I can just put a card reader on it and show her how to do it that way... But then I would need a good picture editing program... any ideas?
I wouldn't assume anything (HP camera/printer docking station would work).

HP products are notorious for causing conflicts with other USB devices. My PC doesn't work with my Konica KD-510z with an HP Photosmart 1215 plugged into it with the HP printer status software running. I had to shut down the HP software to get the PC to see the camera.

I no longer have this printer (it finally "gave up the ghost" recently and I needed to replace it). But, it was a problem when I did have it (as far as using other USB Devices).

Before you blame Kodak, you may consider that conflicts with products do occur, and HP is not known to have the best software around for monitoring their USB attached devices.

As far as photo editing software, there are hundreds (more likely thousands) of applications available -- and many of them are free. Heck, even Kodak's software is free. Ditto for some of HP's software, Google Picassa, etc.

There are lots of software packages to do the editing. I'd find the camera you want first, then worry about software.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:00 PM   #6

The Hp camera comes with image editing software. I don't remember which one but my 7 yr. old grandson can use it.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:14 AM   #7

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The Hp camera comes with image editing software. I don't remember which one but my 7 yr. old grandson can use it.

Dawg

Well, I like the idea of the HP camera because the printer/scanner that was supposedly causing the problem was an HP. So if it is a problem, I can pin it on HP

I think Im' going to go with the HP R607. It seems like a little nicer of a camera than the other one. Any opinions one way or another?