Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:21 PM   #1

I've beeen going back and forth between the Olympus and Canon and would like some suggestions. I'll be using whichever camera I chose for everything from some action to more scenic shots and everything in between (I work at a small newspaper).
I like olympus due to its size and weather-resistance. It seems like I am constantly outside in less than desireable conditions and the durability of the e-1 is appealing. I like the idea of the Zuiko lenses being more compact for their power, but am a little nervous about sinking any money into them since I don't know if the system will have any legs. Everything I have read about the camera says it takes pretty decent pictures and am not too concerned about that.
The Canon has its name recognition for me, but it also has the higher mega-pixel count although that isn't a major consideration for me. The faster fps and focusing makes it appealing, along with the lenses selection. But what I have not been able to find on any forum is its durability and ability to deal with harsh weather, does anyone have any experience with that?
Any help on those questions or any other comparisons someone wants to draw will be appreciated. I don't want to spend more than $1,500-2,000 to get started, so the higher end cameras are just a bit out of my reach right now but if there are any cameras that might fit my needs better, I'm all ears.

Thanks
coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 11:45 PM   #2

Hi Coastie: You will get a lot ofcomments on your question, so let me go ahead and give you mine. Go with the Olympus E-1.

I'm short on time, so I must keep it very short. A very rugged camera with excellent photos. The four-thirdssystemstandard isadvanced, and the optics are great.

http://www.myfourthirds.com/

Also, remember the E-300 is cheaper, with built in flash. It would make a good second body for your lens.

There are rebates on E systems & lens now thru June 30. Check it out:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/img/cp...stemRebate.pdf

Good luck in your decision.

Steven R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:42 PM   #3

Having only held a 20d I can't say alot about that model but I can tell you I love my E-1. The weather seals shouldn't be taken lightly when comparing these two models especially when you say:
Quote:
It seems like I am constantly outside in less than desireable conditions and the durability of the e-1 is appealing.
I have had my E-1 out in full rain this past week snapping photo's of some pretty amazing rain fall flooding out some creeks and rivers in southern Alberta with no ill effects to the camera. Its also built like a tank which is great for me as I love to take it along for some interesting hikes out in the mountains. I just recently purchased the Oly 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 for it as well and can't wait to head out to try some wildlife shots using this lens.
Quote:
it also has the higher mega-pixel count although that isn't a major consideration for me. The faster fps and focusing makes it appealing, along with the lenses selection.
As you said, higher mp count isn't everything. Almost everyone would agree that MP's aren't everything and won't make for better quality pictures, the person behind the camera will!Besides, how large will you need to print...I have some extremely nice 11x14prints from my E-1.The 5fps vs. 3fps is a decent gap however but with a 12frame buffer at any picture setting (jpeg, tiff, raw, raw+jpeg) the E-1 has never been lacking IMHO. Oly has been known for slower focusing but almostnever inaccurate auto-focusing when it comes to their dslr models. If you choose the E-1 update the firmware to version 1.4 and the focus speed especially in low-light conditions will be greatly improved. Lens selection has always been a limiting factor for the 4/3 system but you can get from Olympus a free OM-4/3 adapter and use some older OM lenses in manual focus mode. They are also adding some very high end lenses latter this year with the recent announcement of a 14-35mm F2, 35-100mm F2 and 90-250mm F2.8 all of which to my knowledge are not available in this range from any other manufacture at this time. So the lens range is ever increasing. Personally I don't know what the big deal is. Maybe to be a photographer you need to have a large heavy bag filled with lenses (that the majority most likelyrarely if ever get used)or something rather than just a few really good ones. I like the fact that with 2 lenses I cover 95% of my former camera (c-750uz with wide/tele adapter)used range from 28-400mm fov.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:32 PM   #4

thanks for the replies. It definitely helps out with the advice.
Other question is do you think the new four-thirds system of lenses has the legs to keep it going for a while and has there been any word of Olympus putting out a replacement for the E-1 yet?

Still waiting for a supporter for the 20D
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

hi coastie,

i have a 20d and have to say that it has never once disappointed me.. i love the instantaneous turn on, non existant shutter lag, fast fps, etc.. the flexibility of the EOS system of lenses and accessories is also great. i can choose from a collection of over 50 lenses from canon alone, from image stabilized walkabout lenses to 600mm super teles.. and then all of the excellent 3rd party lenses, which are all available in eos mount.. image quality is stellar, good resolution, great color accuracy, and no noise up to ISO 800, and still low at 1600 and useable at 3200.. durability, the thing feels like a tank with its nice magnesium alloy body, i have heard many of a photographer dropping theirs off a hiking trail with nary a scratch.. as for coastal waters, i recently read an article about a pro using his 20d to capture penguins.. he was talking about salt spray on his lens and digging sand out of the jog wheel with no lastin ill-effects.. i love my 20d and wouldnt trade it in for anything (well mb a 1dsmkII).. :-)

my advice to you is to get down to your local pro shop and try them both out. handle them a bit, take some photos, spend some time with them in your hands.. and let that be a guiding force in your decision. because at the end of the day, neither of these kits is going to let you down. pick the one you are comfortable with

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:47 PM   #6

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
my advice to you is to get down to your local pro shop and try them both out. handle them a bit, take some photos, spend some time with them in your hands.. and let that be a guiding force in your decision. because at the end of the day, neither of these kits is going to let you down. pick the one you are comfortable with

Those are amazing words of great wisdom especially when it comes to a dsrl! Great advice Hards80!
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:35 PM   #7

Re: does the 4/3 system have legs? Yes, for many technical reasons,and Panasonic is the latest to join in. The new Panasonic dSLR will be a 4/3 when it arrives next year. Which means the Panasonic 4/3 lens will also be interchangable with the E-1.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:08 PM   #8

Wow, thanks, I had not heard about the Panasonic DSLR. And yes, I do need to pick up the 20D still. I liked the feel of the E-1, but need to give the 20D a fair tryout as well.
Thanks again for all the input.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:52 PM   #9

Well, this (Canon Eos 20D w/grip) is my first Digital camera of any kind. I have to say that I'm amazed at the flexability that a DSLR gives the photographer. With film I could never change ISO between shots!

Also I'm amazed at the 20D's lowlight preformance. I have shot alot at night (someing I rarely did with Film) and like knowing in camera after the shot how it looks. Also I have never touched up night shots too much once they were downloaded in to my computer. I've printed 8x10 shots a locate power plant that was taken at night and the results are great.

I have taken 2 weddings (both on the same day & both in different towns) ((yes, I was stress)) with my 20D. I love working with the camera, I have 3 gigs of memory (on two card) and a stand alone storage device. I love never having to stop to load film. Just pop a card out and put another in. My assistant puts the photos on the device.

I'm one very happy 20D owner. I've had the camera 3 months and have a total of 5,600 shots!
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote