Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy a relatively inexpensive (~$300) digital camera that will give me decent results. I'm not a camera/photographyexpert and don't really want to be. I've read a number of reviews here and elsewhere and looked at a few products in person. I wanted to check with some enthusiats and experts before I lay down the cash to see if I could get some more feedback.

From what I've seen and read the Coolpix 5900 seems like it would work for me. Seems to have decent quality, a lot of nice features, and a reasonable price. My major questions are:

Is the 7900 worth the extra money? I just want a camera for every day kind of shooting. Shots of the family in various settings, vacation pictures, etc. Seems like 5 Megapixels should do the job. Am I wrong? Is the extra 2 megapixels worth the ~$100?

Second, what other cameras should I consider? Are there others with similar or better capabilities and/or quality in the same price range?

Thanks for your thoughts!
LanceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:29 PM   #2

LanceF wrote:
Quote:
Is the 7900 worth the extra money? I just want a camera for every day kind of shooting. Shots of the family in various settings, vacation pictures, etc. Seems like 5 Megapixels should do the job. Am I wrong? Is the extra 2 megapixels worth the ~$100?
Quote:
In order to answer that question, we would need to know what is the largest print you would expect to make.
Quote:
Second, what other cameras should I consider? Are there others with similar or better capabilities and/or quality in the same price range?
Quote:
Since the Nikon's you mention are quite capable of doing what you want, there is no need to consider others. On the other hand, any 5mp camera from the major manufacturers will do what you want as well. Also, just about every one of these makers will have a very capable camera in the same price range.
Since you do not list any kind of special requirement, then you might as well go with the Nikons, for at this point, they are just as good a choice as anything else...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:01 AM   #3

I think one of the reason why you might consider the 7 mega pix iso the 5 isthat you can have more pixel to work with if you want to crop your picture to make it better composed. Pictures taken can be cropped with the camera.

Cheers
netswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I can't imagine making larger than 8X10 prints which is part of the reason I was thinking 5 MP would be good enough. However, as the other response indicates, having more pixels available could be useful if I want to crop pictures. I hadn't considered that.

With respect to other cameras, I was wondering if any other brands had better optics or something along those lines that might give them an edge in quality.

R,

Lance
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5

Interesting point. Thanks for the tip.

R,

Lance