Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:02 AM   #11
Administrator

I'd say that the top image was taken by the Canon, and the bottom image was taken by theOlympus, if I had to guess.

Reasoning:

The top image is using more ambient light for it's exposure, and the Depth of Field is shallower (background is not as sharp). A higher ISO speed was probably used compared to the second photo, and flash (if used) contributed less to the exposure.

I'd guess that the bottom imagewas exposed with flash, using an ISO speed/aperture combination that is not allowing as much ambient light into the image. So, the foreground subject was less impacted by ambient light.

The sharper background in the second photo would also be characteristic of greater depth of field (because non-DSLR models have dramatically more depth of field for any given aperture,35mm equivalentfocal length, and focus distance).

Now, this is all a good excercise. But, it really isn't appropriate for the "Critiques and Techniques" Forum (where users come to get critique and comment about how to improvean image).

Since you're asking about which camera to keep, I'll move it to the "What Camera Should I Buy" Forum.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:29 AM   #12

If those images where taken "out of the Box", the the bottom image gotta be a Point & shoot camera while the top one should be from a DSRL...

DSRL cams needs more "Userability" to get a better image...

Conclusion:

Visit www.dpreview.com , http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html .

And get a decent review of each camera.

I still don´t get why you hide the camera´s Brand/Model...

If you want to get a deeper help tell us what are those.

SinRastro
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:58 AM   #13

Cameras are not necessarily setup properly out of the box. Do you plan on never changing a setting of the camera? Ever? Then this test is useful because that is how you will always use it.

I know with my 20D (and the 10D before it) I changed several/many settings on the camera.

Point and shoot cameras are aimed at one market, DSLRs are aimed at another.

I have to agree with Stevekin here. I certainly hope you aren't picking a camera purely on these two pictures. And certainly not based just on "out-of-the-box" settings. When you buy a car do you adjust the seats to fit? What about the radio station?

Heck, if those pictures were taken under florescent lighting, it is very possible that you might have taken the picture during a flicker of the blub and that would throw off the white balance.

If you want advice in picking a camera please tell is how you'll use it. Tell is what subjects you like to take pictures of. How much money you are willing to spend. Are you a perfectionist? Do you care about weight? Do you have small hands and prefer a smaller camera?

This info will help greatly in us advising what camera you should buy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:38 PM   #14

Sin and Eric, to be fair, Karmasoft did concede that it isn't the way to decide on a camera by showing two pics and he did name the cameras in question. A Canon DReb and an Oly C-8080.

Fully agree Eric, if more criteria were known, better advice could be given.

Karmasoft, see my last sentence 8)
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:59 PM   #15

Thanks for moving this thread, this is the proper forum.

Been a bit cryptic in this thread, and apologize for that. Here's the situation.

Had a Minolta Maxxum 7000 for years with wide angle and telephoto lenses. Wide probably stayed on the camera 80% of the time. Loved that camera, it was small, light, felt good in my hand, fast and easy to focus.

But had to move into the digital world, right? Bought the Pentax EI-200 and played around with that. Liked the camera, loved being able to see a picture after taking it, and not having to scan a photograph. So was hooked on digital.

Decided to sell the Maxxum and buy the Digital Rebel when it came out, off the internet, without playing with it. The moment out of the box, was disappointed. Didn't like the way it felt. Didn't like the size. Liked the pictures a lot though. And its pretty fast.

After a year and half of only using it sporadically, began to wonder. Thought, ok, time to buy another lens. But forking over another $600 for a lens makes me cringe.

So really thought hard about this. What kind of photographer am I, where do I take pictures, what kind of features do I really need, etc.

Want:
Camera that feels good to me
Small, light, easy to carry
Fast
Lots of exposure controls but great point ‘n shooter too
Not a fortune

So, researched, researched, researched. Landed on the C-8080. Bought it from Amazon couple weeks ago. Like it a lot. Fits most of what I'm looking for. Can't get the wide angles an SLR can though.

Now stuck thinking don't need 3 digital cameras. The EI-200 is a great, "car-cam," so keeping that. Left wondering, keep the Rebel or C-8080.

karmasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:03 AM   #16

Although you haven't answeredEric's questions, I think you have answered your own.

You hardly use the DReb and don't fancy spending lots of dollars on more lenses. Why spend the equivalent of a very good new camera on a lens that you will be using only 'sporadically' ?

You like the C8080 and use it more. The wide angle issue could be partially resolved with this, http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_WCON-08D.htmIt will give you 22.4mm (35mm equiv.) Selling the DReb should easily cover the cost of this lenswith change over.

$142.45 at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...88014?v=glance

Stevekin.

Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:09 AM   #17
Administrator

I'm still curious if I got the cameras right. ;-)

I'd ask yourself if you need the high ISO capability of the Rebel for anything. For example, indoor pics without a flash, night sports, etc., and if you're willing to spend the money on bright lenses for this purpose.

I'd also consider things like Depth of Field differences. You've got dramatically more Depth of Field for any given 35mm equivalent Focal Length, Aperture and Focus Distance with a non-DSLR model.

This can be good for shooting scenes where you want morein focus. But, if you are shooting scenes where you want a shallower Depth of Field (to help your subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds by using a larger aperture), then a DSLR gives you more control.

I'd keep the one you're most comfortable with.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:05 PM   #18

JimC, yes you got it right - the top image was taken with the Digital Rebel.

Read somewhere the Rebel's white balance was, "warm," out of the box, and boy was that right.

Decided to keep the Olympus C-8080, and sell the Rebel. Might not be what most people would do, but think it will be right for me.
karmasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:20 PM   #19

karmasoft wrote:
Quote:
but think it will be right for me.
That's what counts !!
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:20 AM   #20

which of the two pictures is better when compared? taken with two different cameras at the same time

daadeedum is offline   Reply With Quote